Good viola music?
Apr 3, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 15
Bartok wrote a sweet Viola concerto just before dying. I have the Menuhin/Dorati recording which is available with a ton of Bartok's violin music as an EMI Duo

5119T1RS7SL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 15
I second the Hindemith recommendation, if you have any taste for 20th century music.

An alternative to the sonatas already suggested would be some larger scale works: his concerto and Kammermusik No. 5 are terrific viola vehicles. Look here.

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #7 of 15
A followup... if you're not into 20th century music, are sensitive to dissonance, etc. then you might still like Debussy. One of the earliest composers to write for solo viola, and his trio for flute, viola and harp is quite beautiful. I haven't heard this disc, but it has the Debussy and it looks like some bonuses too.

Apr 4, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 15
let's not forget the grandma of the Viola, namely the Viola da Gamba. I guess this is as good as it gets as an introduction to its sound
51F1XEA6FPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 15
Brahms has some viola sonatas. Magnatunes sells lossless versions of them played by Shlomo Mintz and Itamar Golan.

Walton, Penderecki and Schnittke have also written concerti for viola.

Apr 6, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdennis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A followup... if you're not into 20th century music, are sensitive to dissonance, etc. then you might still like Debussy. One of the earliest composers to write for solo viola, and his trio for flute, viola and harp is quite beautiful. I haven't heard this disc, but it has the Debussy and it looks like some bonuses too.

I have this disc and can recommend it. Very nice ensemble playing and an excellent program. Modern without being difficult. I purchased it for the Takemitsu, but really like the Britten Lachrymae also.

Cathy Basrak has this interesting CD: American Viola Works.

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 15
Oh, and while talking of Debussy: both, him and Arnold Bax wrote terrific trios for flute, viola and harp (and both in 1915/16, btw).

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rlynn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cathy Basrak has this interesting CD: American Viola Works.

Interesting label Cedille Records. Thanks for the lead.

-

Regarding the recommendation of Berlioz's Harold in Italy, I look for a modern realization to add to the collection.

-

Other than that, I found ... ?risonanze!... in my collection. Written in 1996-7, it's current day aesthetics. (Though relistening to it, it's relatively light.) The disc contains smaller works of a capable artist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back