Good valued Amp for ATH M50
Feb 22, 2012 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

asvestomix

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I recently bought a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 for home music production but i am also using them as main headphones for my desktop.
I never owned before a good pair of headphones so i never used headphones amplifiers before thus i am not really aware how much improvement would have and what amp will be good for my case. I came here to ask  your advice for a good value for money amp that would be for low budged, would offer good sound quality and would be able to drive the m50 thought a pc or a portable mp3 player.
Also am not sure if it important but i would like to mention that since i am using them as monitoring headphones i wouldn't want the
amp to colorizing my headphones, my first priority is a close to natural sounding.
thank you and i am waiting for your advices

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 7
hello again,
i did some research and i discovered Fiio 11 could be the perfect choice for me since it has good sound quality and it is good value for money, however i read somewhere that it may colourize  the sound by adding some trebles and more bass though i am not sure if it is colorizing or just bringing out some sound details that where hiding behind bad amplification.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 7
I don't think you should be worried about the "colour" of an amp at this price point, the E11 does what it supposes to do brilliantly, for that price you can't go wrong with it. And when you get your second amp, naturally, you will have a better perception of the potential "colour" or any other difference of two distinct amps. You have to start with somewhere right? :D  

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
I don't think you should be worried about the "colour" of an amp at this price point, the E11 does what it supposes to do brilliantly, for that price you can't go wrong with it. And when you get your second amp, naturally, you will have a better perception of the potential "colour" or any other difference of two distinct amps. You have to start with somewhere right? :D  

i think you're right, they cant be worse than with my desktop sound card
After all i just needed an advice before i proceed into a payment, i bought these good headphones for their natural sound and i wand to keep them that way.

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 7
Before you purchase the E11, make sure your sound card has a line out port, the last thing you want is feeding an amp with the headphone out of a sound card. No matter how good the amp is, a sub par signal is not going to get better, so clean signal from line out port is very very important to ensure SQ. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back