Good USB/SPDIF converter and DAC combo for <300 ??
Jul 6, 2011 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

IhateBEATS

New Head-Fier
I'm on my computer more often than not and figured i should have a decent audio set up. I decided to look beyond the USB/DAC combos like the Fiio E7 as using a SPDIF opens up many doors for various DACs. Any information/suggestions will be well received. Thank!

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 10
sorry for the late reply. I looked into the uDAC2 and it seems perfect for my needs. Before i make the purchase, however, I was wondering how it stacked up to the emu0404 or the D12 by iBasso, as it does have a USB DAC function. Thanks!

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 10
From what I've read, the D12 should be much better than the uDac-2, while the E-MU0404 and uDac-2 are about even. But it's really what you define as better, so very preferential and really hard to say what's better or not. I'd go for the D12 or the uDac-2 simply because they look better. There shouldn't be any huge difference better the three unless you get a bad sample. 

The D12 also has a much better amplifier than the uDac-2, while the uDac-2 has a better amplifier than the E-MU0404, so that might factor into your decision. iBasso makes really solid products, even if they are slightly more expensive. NuForce makes slightly lesser quality products, but at a more reasonable pricepoint. I think the E-MU0404 existed and made a name for itself because it was one of the only contenders in its area at the time, but should be outclassed now. I've never heard of it much, so that's only my opinion though.

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 10
I originally thought that since the emu0404 was as good as people said it was, i was willing to look past its unwieldy size. But on par with the uDAC2 and with the uDAC much more portable, i'm sold. Thanks for all the help Blisse! Maybe ill look into the iBasso's later in my audiophile journey, but this seems like a good start ;] 

side-note: will these be able to drive DT770s 80ohm well? i know the website says it can handle 16-300ohm headphones but i just want to make sure. should i pick up a dedicated amp with it?

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 10
You should really be picking a dedicated amplifier in general. They'll do a lot more for the sound. The uDac, as it's named, is a DAC with an okay amplifier. Most people use the uDac only for USB to SPDIF, and connect it to an amplifier. DACs are usually used to bypass the onboard soundcard, I believe.

If you find the uDac to be lacking, which it shouldn't for the DT770 80ohm, it's a really popular startup item and you should be able to recover a bit of its cost while you upgrade to something in the future.

If anything, here's a good quote from the guy in the links above.

"They were not rigorous, buy my two listening challenges here seem to demonstrate differences between DACs are smaller than most think. Roughly half the listeners couldn't hear any differences even comparing a $30 DAC to a $1600 one."

Also look into the FiiO E7, which is a good portable DAC in its own right, and you can look to upgrade in the future with the FiiO E9, a desktop amplifier. The only difference is it'd lack SPDIF, but that shouldn't matter much honestly.

Good luck on your audiophile journey!

Jul 9, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #8 of 10
My Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD external sound card performs USB to S/PDIF optical conversion, as well as S/PDIF to USB conversion. It operates as a USB to DAC, and as a ADC. Pass through of 24/96 is possible. I use this interface to digitized LP's , and to get computer audio to my home theatre's pre/pro, via USB to S/PDIF. It sounds like SACD and only cost me about $80.00.

Jul 9, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #9 of 10
Hi,
    I have the E-MU 0404 usb and musiland monitor 02 US With Zero 09 DAC for play back I'd say MM 02 & Zero DAC sounds better than E-MU 0404.I use the 0404 for recording vinyl at 24/88.2 or 176.4KHz it is great for recording but if are just going to being ripping CD's for play back get something little the musiland monitor 02 US it does usb to spdif and is a DAC/headphone amp also and can be had $125 than find a good DAC when you have the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back