Good upgrade from the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro?
Mar 8, 2014 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

JonahNguyen

New Head-Fier
I listen to mainly rock music. Ive been looking at the ATH-WS99 but I wasnt sure if they were a good upgrade from the COP's. Im looking for good bass but still have the highs and mids. Kinda like what people describe the WS99 as.

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 21
Your probably not going to get a big improvement over the Custom one pros with a headphone under 200USD. 

You would be better off saving for something in the 300 to 400USD price range for any large improvement. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 21
  What about the Grado SR325i??

From what i read the Grado headphones are mainly great for rock music and are decent for most other types of music.

If all you listen to is rock then they would probably be a good choice.

If you don't listen to rock then there are better options at the 300 price point. 

but i'm sure the SR325i would be an improvement over the Custom one pros no matter what their sound signature is. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 21
And this is a really stupid question but do i have to quote you so you know i responded???

From what i read the Grado headphones are mainly great for rock music and are decent for most other types of music.

If all you listen to is rock then they would probably be a good choice.

If you don't listen to rock then there are better options at the 300 price point. 

but i'm sure the SR325i would be an improvement over the Custom one pros no matter what their sound signature is. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 21
  And this is a really stupid question but do i have to quote you so you know i responded???

no, i know. it says so on the subscription page.

Thanks. But i just bought the 225i's you think they would fair a chance against the Beyer's? I'l have to compare them when i get the Grado's

I really don't know for sure since i have never listened to the Customs or the Grados, but i would say compare them when you get them and if they don't give you a big improvement return them and save up for the SR325i or something like it.

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 21
Mar 11, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 21
Thanks. But i just bought the 225i's you think they would fair a chance against the Beyer's? I'l have to compare them when i get the Grado's

The SR225i will have a totally different sound. You'll have to wait and see if you like it better.

Ok thanks. And this is kinda an off topic question but do you know how amps improve sound quality and if its worth investing in one?

The SR225i are fairly easy to drive. So you might not notice any difference with a better amp. If they easily get a good bit louder than you like to listen to them, then probably not a huge difference.

Now if you have a crappy audio source you are plugging them into, could be a combined DAC/amp would be a good choice. What are you planning on using them with?

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #12 of 21
On a iPhone, and on my laptop. 
The SR225i will have a totally different sound. You'll have to wait and see if you like it better.
The SR225i are fairly easy to drive. So you might not notice any difference with a better amp. If they easily get a good bit louder than you like to listen to them, then probably not a huge difference.

Now if you have a crappy audio source you are plugging them into, could be a combined DAC/amp would be a good choice. What are you planning on using them with?

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #13 of 21
Laptops vary a lot in audio quality, but iPhones are generally very good music players. Use high quality audio files from your iPhone and test with that :)

Mar 12, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #14 of 21
How do Mp3 files compare to uncompressed files?
Laptops vary a lot in audio quality, but iPhones are generally very good music players. Use high quality audio files from your iPhone and test with that
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #15 of 21
High bit rate 320k MP3s are often indistinguishable from lossless, uncompressed files. As you decrease the bit rate, the quality goes down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back