Good Upgrade from Senn 555's?
Mar 20, 2009 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

GosuEric

Head-Fier
I've had my 555's for over two years, and I'm rather happy with them. Comfortable, nice sound, and all that. Though after spending a bit of time in the IEM department and amps and such, I've been feeling like my 555's are... lacking. They're wonderful really, but they just seem to lack something.

I have Image X10s as my portable headphones, and I love 'em. Maybe something with a similar sound like that?

I also looked a lot into the 595's, reading that they're pretty much the most neutral cans is a great thing imo. I like the slight warmth from the X10s, but it's not exactly required.

Something that would sound great unamped would be preferred, or if people have recommendations for a good setup via Headphones/USB DAC/Amp I wouldn't mind that either.

I'll be buying online and am in the US, so I think I have a fairy open amount of choices here. The only thing that's caught my eye at the moment are the 595s like I said.

I'd prefer Open to Closed, but it's not required. Hopefully I can get soem good suggestions going!

I'd say a limit on my spending is maybe... $200ish, can be stretched (a fair bit) if I can get some really good recommendations.

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 7
I would not advise you to buy the 595s, as I am fairly sure they are 95% the same cans. I am a previous owner of them, and felt the same way you do about your 555s.

First, note that good amplification definitely livens up the headphones. If you are planning on building a PC-based listening setup, I would advise you to take a look at the Xonar Essence STX - soundcard with a dedicated headphone amp (better than most in that price range mind you) and a very capable DAC. It made a huge improvement in my 595s over the X-Fi -> Total Airhead setup I used before - increases bottom end and detail considerably. It also fits nice in your price range.

If you like the Senn sound you could look into the HD600, although it is a bit over your budget. I assure you they will be a great leap in quality. If not, there are an awful lot of opportunities, depending on the sound qualities you are after. Mind to share some of that information?

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 7
There was some pictures posted of the HD595 internals and it seems to use the same exact driver. The only difference is the HD555 has a foam piece behind the driver.

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 7
AD700. While I love my HD650s, I never recommend the HD555 or HD595. For the $200 range for Open, AD700 get's my vote. Get an Amp with the savings, the Little Dot 1+ hybrid is only $99

I have also read a few posts where QQQ says buying the HD595 is a waste. Says buy the HD555 and remove the foam /shrug

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #5 of 7
How would I remove the foam?

And I'm not looking only into Sennheiser, that's just the only brand that I've looked at. Anything's a worthwhile suggestion, regardless of brand.

As for sound quality I'm into, I'm not exactly sure, it's a bit tough. I listen to lots of Soundtracks (Final Fantasy, stuff like that), so I guess a good representation of every single part of the spectrum would work well. Something like the 555's with more bass and maybe a wider soundstage seems like a good idea.

I also read that Grados are a bit more 'in your face' kind of style, good for Rock, is that true? I have a good amount of rock/prog rock and stuff that I'd really like to breathe life into with a good pair of headphones.

As for PC and all that, I'm looking at building a new PC soon, thus good sound card/dac/amp recommendations would be helpful as well, but that's not for a good while. I think I'd ask for full on recommendations when the time comes.

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 7
I'd say look for a used HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back