Good upgrade from m50s? amp sugg?
Dec 3, 2015 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

KingCzar

aka Sorpanino (not to be mistaken for Sopranino)
Hello, I have had m50s for a few years now. Ive been okay with them, I'm not impressed since it seems relative, and i have nothing to compare to. I want to upgrade, but since i don't  know anything but m50s, I do not know what I want.

The music I like is trap music, hip-hop, (some types of jazz, but I don't know the specific name of it, and I can't find it, it seems more modern and synthetic or clear, with out many wind instruments and relaxing, high-quality recordings etc) I game, some metal, and randomly will listen to different sorts of "edm" but not too often. 

I can buy an amp, my price range is preferred 300$ nothing higher, because this will be a Christmas request, and 300 is pushing it, but if you have something slightly higher tell me, ill look into it and buy it with my own money. 

I don't like high frequencies, but that's maybe because the quality of what im listening to isn't good in the higher ranges? I bet I'd enjoy some headphones with little bass, and really clear sound. But I also like bass as well. This is my issue, I am really not sure.

Any amp suggestions? Tube amps look cool, is there any benefit to having them? I play at my computer so size doesn't matter.
Also will i need to buy a soundcard that's decent for my computer, or will having an amp be good enough? I think id prefer a tube just because it looks super cool, maybe ill look like im doing something with my life if ppl see alien technology on my desk. jk lol

Thanks for all the help, and taking time out of your day to assist me. I truly appreciate it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Some headphones I had in mind are: Dt990  250 ohm, Sennheiser HD 598, and that's it. These choices are really pretentious though, I just know one is clear, one is bassy, but i do not know how each compare to the m50s, and how much of an upgrade (with an amp) that they are. Please help me see their differences, I'm new to this. thanks again really. 

Amp: http://www.amazon.com/GemTune-Class--Tube-Amplifier-EL34-B/dp/B00DRUY6EG/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1449179309&sr=1-11&keywords=tube+amplifier

looks cool, so does the dark voice. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 3
I seen that dt990s have high trebel, im wondering if there is anything that is similar in the lows and mids, but more dark, not  so bright. 

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 3
If your into FPS gaming, then maybe get the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card.
If more into music, then the FiiO E10K or Schiit Fulla, both are USB DAC/amps.

Either way, maybe try to keep the sound card or DAC/amp cost under $100, leaving more of the budget for headphones.

From my under standing the Philips Fidelio X1/X2 are like an "improved" DT990.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back