Good tube amp <$600
Oct 25, 2004 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

S_Dedalus

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking at getting something along the lines of an Ear++, WooAudio 3, PPX3-6SN7, or MG head OTL.
My source will be a modded E-MU 0404, and headphones will be Beyerdynamic DT770's, and in future one of the metal Grado's.
The amp that sticks out most in my mind is the Emmeline HR-2 that I heard at the Chicago meet, but that's a bit out of my price range. I'd also like something a bit warmer, to soften the potentially blistering highs of the DT770s, well controlled, but punchy in the low end, and a slightly forward midrange, while not being too laid back.
If anyone has compared these amps, I'd love to hear your impressions, and if anyone in the chicago area has one, and would let me listen, I'd be very grateful.

Oct 25, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 36
If you liked the HR-2, I'd strongly suggest that you consider the XP-7. It's a great little amp.

However, if you have your heart set on tubes, perhaps you'd consider the ASL MG-Head DT/OTL-32. It will give you the option of adding the AKG K1000 if you choose to do so later.
k1000smile.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 36
XP-7 if you cant stretch the budget to the HR-2 . But stretch! YOU WON'T BE SORRY. Seriously, the XP-7 won't disappoint and offers the same op amp rolling as the Hr2. It's available w/ Pwr Supply and can be batttery pwd for travel/portable use. I didn't need the portability so I went HR2 but it could've gone the other way.
CPW
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
I'm looking at getting something along the lines of an Ear++, WooAudio 3, PPX3-6SN7, or MG head OTL.
My source will be a modded E-MU 0404, and headphones will be Beyerdynamic DT770's, and in future one of the metal Grado's.
The amp that sticks out most in my mind is the Emmeline HR-2 that I heard at the Chicago meet, but that's a bit out of my price range. I'd also like something a bit warmer, to soften the potentially blistering highs of the DT770s, well controlled, but punchy in the low end, and a slightly forward midrange, while not being too laid back.
If anyone has compared these amps, I'd love to hear your impressions, and if anyone in the chicago area has one, and would let me listen, I'd be very grateful.

Oct 25, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
How about a earmax pro or a rudistor rp5 reference???? Or singlepower products???? Their all tubeys

A new emp or rp5 is way out of my price range, and I have a singlepower amp listed up there.
I got to listen to an XP-7 at that same meet, and it just didn't have the same kind of involving sound as the HR-2. What I was wondering is if there are any tube amps that have that same kind of flavor, maybe even a little more colored, that are $400-600

Oct 25, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 36
I think the only SinglePower in your range is the PPX3 (which I owned) but if you liked the HR2 and decide to go w/ tubes, I'd recommend the Earmax Pro. You should PM head-fier JaZZ who is very familiar w/ these w/ all sorts of tube combinations. They are very "neutral" and true-to-source. My vote is still for the Hr-2. That and my Hd650 rarely leave me wanting for anything except better recordings!
CPW

Oct 25, 2004 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 36
I have only heard the PPX3 and it was an awesome amp. I think the 6sn7 version will be even better. Try PMing stevio he has one and can probably give you some thoughts on it. Good luck.
600smile.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 12:46 PM Post #9 of 36
I''m using the MAD Ear++, and really like it. It got some Auricaps and Alps Blue Velvet. Unfortunately I've got only experience with the Rega Ear and Creek OBH-11, so it's quite limited.

However, when directly compared to the Rega Ear, the MAD sounded way better. Especially with the Beyer DT531, DT770 Pro and DT880.
The highs are smooth, bass is hard and the midrange is more in focus (more forward if you like) than with the Rega. So the DT770 Pro really sounds great with the MAD.

Keep in mind that I haven't heard any Singlepowers, Emmelines or the others.
But I think the MAD amps are great value for money.

Oct 25, 2004 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 36
Keep your eyes open for used gear. If you are patient and willing to look there are deals out there. You can sometimes get a very good amp for what you would pay for a new lesser amp.

Oct 25, 2004 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
A new emp or rp5 is way out of my price range, and I have a singlepower amp listed up there.
I got to listen to an XP-7 at that same meet, and it just didn't have the same kind of involving sound as the HR-2. What I was wondering is if there are any tube amps that have that same kind of flavor, maybe even a little more colored, that are $400-600

Wait until one comes uo in the for sale forums. You should try to get to listen to them. A used RP5 could be what you are looking for. It is the best tube I have got. I use it with grado's. I did a quick comparison review a few weeks ago of solid state and tubeys, but I can't remember what the link is!!!!

Oct 25, 2004 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 36
I would recommend you stay with a good tube amp.There is some undefineable characteristic that tubes give you that I never hear from any solid state amp. Tubes sound better to me. The ppx3/ MAD ear+/ hd-25 are my favorites. All these amps come in under $600.
cool.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #13 of 36
Just last month, I saw a refurbished RP5 on Ebay by Rudi for just over $600 shipped.

However, what you describing above sounds like current/preproduction MPX3 with 6sn7 or HD25. Slightly warmer and less harshy treble than typical solid-state amps, good liquid midrange yet dynamic enough to move your feet.

Oct 25, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #15 of 36
My vote for $600 goes to the EddieCurrent HD25 first, second would be the SinglePower PPX3, and third goes to the MapleTree Ear+. I would have put a MPX3 before the HD25 but it is out of your budget.
icon10.gif
tongue.gif
600smile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back