Good to Better to Best XLR Connectors
Mar 6, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #61 of 66
This is what I was told by one expert:

"The Furutech one is much worse than the Eidolic, as its pins are brass and not tellurium copper.  Brass is only about 20% as conductive as tellurium copper.  The Furutech one is not a true audiophile product."

Also, Eidolic have new 4 pin XLR out in the next month or so that will be black aluminum/rhodium plated/tellurium copper:

"Its barrel material will be beadblast black aluminum instead of nickel plated brass (as it is right now) so it’ll have a sleeker feel & lighter weight, and the pins will be rhodium plated instead of gold."

I think I will wait for the new Eidolic.

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #64 of 66
Why should the difference in conductivity of the pins be significant? ...after all they are very much shorter compared with the cable length and also very much thicker, so by far and away the biggest contributor to total cable resistance must be the wires themselves, surely?

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #65 of 66
No, and the conductivity of the conductors doesn't matter either. You could use 28AWG or 30AWG with no loss in performance. But there would be problems with the wires breaking.
What does matter is that the pins make a good connection. The wiping action designed into the 3 pin XLR connectors helps make good contacts. But the 4 pin ones, not so much.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #66 of 66
  No, and the conductivity of the conductors doesn't matter either. You could use 28AWG or 30AWG with no loss in performance. But there would be problems with the wires breaking.
What does matter is that the pins make a good connection. The wiping action designed into the 3 pin XLR connectors helps make good contacts. But the 4 pin ones, not so much.

Thank you for that--I had no idea about any of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back