Good Sub-$100 Headphones for Metal
Jun 22, 2011 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sel00264

New Head-Fier
This may have been asked before.  What I am looking for is suggestions on headphones in this price range that are capable of faithfully reproducing the detail and technicality of modern metal and its various subgenres.  In other words, very fast music.  Something with exceptionally tight bass, not muddy and overpowering, which is the case with my Sennheiser PX100-IIs.  As good as they are, I feel like I can definitely do better, though it may require a closed-back design I suspect.  I guess I am looking for something that is balanced across the spectrum, perhaps with slightly forward or balanced mids, which is important for metal.  Recessed mids don't do metal justice.  I hope I am not asking for something that doesn't exist.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
This may have been asked before.  What I am looking for is suggestions on headphones in this price range that are capable of faithfully reproducing the detail and technicality of modern metal and its various subgenres.  In other words, very fast music.  Something with exceptionally tight bass, not muddy and overpowering, which is the case with my Sennheiser PX100-IIs.  As good as they are, I feel like I can definitely do better, though it may require a closed-back design I suspect.  I guess I am looking for something that is balanced across the spectrum, perhaps with slightly forward or balanced mids, which is important for metal.  Recessed mids don't do metal justice.  I hope I am not asking for something that doesn't exist.

I would have to go with SR80i's. you can find them used from $60-70 dollars) also, they'll sound even clearer with the bowl earpads for about $15 extra

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 7
Sorry, can't really help you, but I saw my favorite band in your avi and had to comment on it.  That being said I absolutely LOVE my Dennon C710's ($100) that I got and listen to Dark Tranquility (or Amon Amarth) on at least 3 days a week in the gym.  I am a bit of a Bassophile though and you may not be happy with that much bass.  Good luck in your search though.  \m/

free bump

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I have been listening to Amon Amarth's new one Surtur Rising nonstop lately :)

Oh my....  I have all their albums, but I have a habit of burying my head in the sand with music and don't keep up to date with releases.  Didn't even know they had a new album out and I'm seeing the when they head this way in August. Wow, looks like it got good reviews... Heading to the store now!  Sorry for thread hijak

Users who are viewing this thread

Back