Good study music?
May 15, 2003 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

NewSc2

500+ Head-Fier
I don't know if there is such a thing as good music while being suitable for studying, but have you guys found any music suitable for studying?

I'd really like to study to Jazz, but so far I simply can't - I end up zoning off into some Miles solos or Trane.

Electronica's been doing the trick for me lately; it's so repetitive it's easy to not think about it.

Any Classical/Jazz/Electronica recommendations?

May 15, 2003 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 30
Conceptually intelligent musically minimalist techno seems to work best for me, particularly things on Milles Plateaux, Force, Inc., Kompakt and Traum. I believe I've mentioned before that certain music by minimalists like Richie Hawtin and Stewart Walker is rather like pulsing static architecture -- Walker's _Stabiles_ was actually inspired by the work of Calder.

Music with vocals and extended solos is simply too distracting -- I end up analyzing the changes. And music I truly love is not to be prostituted by work, non-musical study or anything else that demands I divert my attention.

May 15, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 30
I agree with Scrypt, and would like to include some stuff released on the Chain Reaction label also.

My absolute favourite for study/work is Fluxion "Vibrant Forms II" 2CD, on Chain Reaction.

May 15, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 30
Just last year I was unable to study while listening to any music at all. My roomate, however, did study to music. Needless to say, I got tired of asking him to turn off his music whenever I wanted to study, and began to just put up with it. Eventually I stopped being distracted by it, and am now to the point where I actually prefer studying to music. I'm not sure if it will work for you, but all it took for me was a little practice. Now studying to any kind of music is not a problem.

May 15, 2003 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 30
If you learn to study with music in the background I think as you go to college it is easier to focus and not be distracted by minor disturbances. I knew people that needed it dead quiet to concentrate and they almost always had the hardest time in a dorm environment.

May 16, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 30
Anything in the background works for me. I can work or study with anything playing in the background.

May 16, 2003 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by stymie miasma
I agree with Scrypt, and would like to include some stuff released on the Chain Reaction label also.

My absolute favourite for study/work is Fluxion "Vibrant Forms II" 2CD, on Chain Reaction.

I use this album quite a bit, myself.

It also works for taking naps. It's pretty dark though, and I usually end up with very strange dreams.

May 16, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 30
I like mellow music for studying or doing homework. SAWII by Aphex twin, Aer(Valid) by Phonem and Arovane, Biosphere - Substrata, Phonem - Phonetik, adn stuff like that. I dont really like hearing real instruments when i'm trying to concentrate.,

May 16, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #11 of 30
Just thought I'd throw in a golden oldie:

Klaus Schulze - Mirage

Also, see the recent thread on Steve Roach -- lotta good suggestions in there.

May 16, 2003 at 2:36 PM Post #12 of 30
www.somafm.com

I listen to Beat Blender, Drone Zone, or Groove Salad when I study. It really does help, just a nice background music.

May 16, 2003 at 7:12 PM Post #13 of 30
electronica does it for me lately. also anything I can just bob my head to, like Marcus Miller (bass-guitar jazz fusion, really cool).

May 16, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #14 of 30
Lateralus by Tool works well for me. Don't get me wrong, it's a great album, but it makes good background music. It flows from one song to the next, with plenty of slow guitar work to balance out the rock.

For the same reasons, I use Metallica's S&M album. Has some more distracting parts, but in general it's good background music. Also maybe some Pink Floyd. DSOTM (the only Pink Floyd I have) is a little aggressive without crossfeed.

In high school, I used to pop a Total Annihilation CD into my player. That game has about eight orchestral songs on the soundtrack, playable in a PCDP. I don't often go for symphonic music but I was so used to concentrating during the game that I was already used to it. You can probably find the game for $5 in a bargain bin somewhere; it might be worth a look.

May 16, 2003 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 30
agreed... video game music is great for studying. C&C Red Alert and FF3 are two good soundtracks to pick up. I have a perfect looping version of the FF3 soundtrack that I use... it's great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back