good stationary CDP needed
Dec 2, 2002 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a good, relatively cheap stationary cd player to use beside my bed. I've heard that pretty much any stationary player will sound better than even a really good portable. And I've already got a D-25S portable with wall wart next to my computer, so now I'm looking for something for night time listening.

Any advice? Like I said, I'm looking for something cheap that will work well without an external headphone amp. I listen mostly to rock and hip hop, but also stuff like Bjork.

thanks in advance!

appar111

Dec 2, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 6
it depends on what you consider "cheap"

NAD C541i is a great product for the money. It'll cost you around 450.

Thats about as cheap as I would go for a CDP. I've heard good things about some of the sony ES products.

Dec 2, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 6
Sort of an odd suggestion, but I just brought my old Sony CDP-211 (think that is th number) out of mothballs and plugged it in... The headphone jack on that thing is good, better than many I've heard and it has a very decent volume control on the headphone. Anyway, I'm using it to replace a PCDP in my room as well and I'm quite happy with it.

You might find one or one of its cousins used. (And dirt cheap I'm sure!)

Dec 3, 2002 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 6
sony ns500v, if you can still find them, $150.00/ you get cd/dvd/sacd playback, I don't care what anyone says, its the best bang for the buck player to come down the pike in a long long time.......

Dec 4, 2002 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 6
The changer version (650) is on closeout at BestBuy for $189

Or if you want something really nice for your night table -> http://www.tivoliaudio.com/pmcdtpe.htm

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2002 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 6
I would tend to buy secondhand, you can pick up many a great player for little money because it is no longer 'flavour of the month'. OK, some might argue that these machines may be slightly more likely to break down, but I've bought five used CDP's (all for less than $300) and had no problems, versus the one new POS Marantz that I got for $150. The older Marantz players are good though. Go back ten or more years and you could pick up a great player really cheap. I've owned two Meridian cd players (206 and 207) which have been really quite pleasant, considering that they cost $300 each. Local secondhand shops where you can listen to the CDP are best, and you can check for heavy use (worn writing on 'eject' buttons, etc.).
It's worth taking the risk, I find.
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back