Good Starter Desktop Amp for Sennheisers
Sep 4, 2012 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DarthMarth

100+ Head-Fier
I was listening on my old Bithead amp and HD555s today when my right ear suddenly cut out. After some testing, I confirmed that it was the amp's right channel that had gone out. (Though if I flip the switch for crossfeed mode, I can hear the crossfeed) I'm pretty sure it's out of warranty, so getting it fixed would almost cost as much as I bought it for and I was planning on getting a new amp anyway. I mainly listen at home on my HD555s (I have some other headphones I use less often) and I'm thinking of upgrading to some nicer Sennheisers like HD650s or maybe (after my tax return) HD800s. Can anyone recommend some good amps/DACs in the ~$200-$400 range for Sennheiser headphones? Another combined amp/DAC would be nice, but I suppose I'll have to get dedicated gear eventually. I'm been looking with interest at Schiit gear, but am open to other suggestions.

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 5
If you are into DIY the Bottlehead Crack matches very well with the HD800s and HD650s.

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 5
Very interesting. I'm looking at DACs to go with that--currently Halide Design black box DACs or the DACPort LX, but I'm open to desktop DACs as well. Also, does the Crack work at all with low-impedance headphones? (Those are all I have right now)

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 5
Also, does the Crack work at all with low-impedance headphones? (Those are all I have right now)
No. Its an OTL amp, works great for high impedance cans. The 650s and 800s are 300 ohm with swings up to 600 ohms around 100 hz. The Crack works great for them but doesn't give much to low impedance cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back