Good Starter Amp
Mar 7, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #16 of 28
And don't be shy, folks. I called Headroom just last week and asked them a million questions about some of their products. None of these companies mind.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #17 of 28
"Would it greatly improves the sound if I hooked the amp up between the computer and the headphones?"

Keep in mind that much depends on the quality of the MP3's that you are using. You can spend all kinds of money on equipment, but if you are using low rez MP3's, you won't be very happy results.

- augustwest

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #18 of 28
Just playing devil's advocate, have you considered the Corda Aria?

I have heard that the Micro stack is great, but I can attest to the fact that the Corda Aria is excellent as well.

Just gives you more choices to choose from (part of the fun in buying!)
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
Just gives you more choices to choose from (part of the fun in buying!)
wink.gif

also presonus central station if portability isn't required. dac + multiple inputs/outputs + preamp = very fun.

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #20 of 28
What exactly is the DAC doing when the signal is streamed through the box?
In which way is it be improved.
Say that the clip itself is of high quality but the sound card is crappy. Will the DAC kind, in a way, cancel the sound card out?

Ive heard alot of people with Micro Stacks using Sennheisers and AKG's.

What do you like about your sr-80's and have you been able to try any of the other brands?

I like how clean the sound of the SR-80s are, but I think that because I havent had a chance to listen to any other headphones and the 80's are bascially the first time Ive actually had the chance to listen to music through semi high quality headphones.

What do you like about your sr-80's and have you been able to try any of the other brands?

I Think that I would like more of a sound stage and more bass but keep the same clean cut sound and no I havent been able to try other brands of headphones.

What kind of music do you listen to?

I Listen to alot of Ambient Mix, Old Rock (Jimi), Jazz, Hiphop, Metal, Electronic, Funky, R&B. Basically a wide range of music.

Whats your budget?

Probably $800-$900. This to me is going to be more of a long term project, about 4-6months. I basically will be starting from scratch right now if Im gonna get another pair of headphones, because all I have ringht now are headphones. I dont really want to work up to it with lower quality products first. I just kinda wanna surprise myself by how incredible the sound is. I want it to be euphoric.
k1000smile.gif

Do you need portability? (you don't mention if your computer is a laptop but you do say you are thinking about picking up an ipod)

Portability really is really not a big factor for me.
I dont have a laptop just a PC. I heard that iPods are not compatible?
Ive also heard that iRivers are popular.

Thanks.

By the way Ichiro I didnt realize you were from Hawaii.

"Sup Brah"

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrooveTropics
What exactly is the DAC doing when the signal is streamed through the box?
In which way is it be improved.
Say that the clip itself is of high quality but the sound card is crappy. Will the DAC kind, in a way, cancel the sound card out?

Here is a summary of my understanding of the subject.

A DAC is a Digital to Analog Convertor. It's name describes its function. A DAC takes the digital recording (consisting of ones and zeros) from your hard drive or CD, and turns this into an analog signal that you can hear through speakers. A regular DAC, however, just gives you a line-level (low-power) signal that must be amplified before it can be used to drive speakers or headphones. Hence, the headphone amp. Note that some low-impedance headphones do not require an amp, as they draw little current.

There are different implementations of DAC's. Aside from optical and coax S/PDIF digital outputs (which are just a raw digital signal), your soundcard will use one or more DAC's to provide all of its analog outputs. Many soundcards also have an integrated amplifier for headphones. These amps, however, are usually of low quality.

External DAC's take inputs from an optical/coax digital signal (from a soundcard or CD/Turntable), or a direct USB connection. There is much discussion regarding the dis/advantages of USB vs. S/PDIF.

There are several reasons why some prefer an external DAC to an integrated soundcard. While there is scant objective testing, a souncard, being in close proximity to other computer components, may be more susceptible to interference. An external DAC also gives more flexibility with respect to portability and using different sources. Also, the traditional Hi-Fi philosophy lends preference to discrete modularity in system design.

Back to your question; on a Hi-Fi system, a poor signal will result in poor sound. Using inferior equipment only further distorts the poor signal. As I put simply before; crap in = crap out. You can't clean up a crappy source signal. It is popular philosophy that the design of sound reproduction systems should always begin with the source.

Hope this helps.

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #22 of 28
The Meier Audio Corda Aria may be a quick (good) sol'n. It has a built in DAC that will operate via its built in USB port with your computer/source. This would cost about $400-$500 depending on whether or not you buy new/used.

Make sure that you the song files on your computer are in the best format your hard drive can handle.

You wouldn't put regular unleaded into a Ferrari would you?

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #23 of 28
Is that what the Micro DAC does? Instead of having the song file play through the sound card DAC, it plays through the Micro DAC Instead? What Im trying to say is does the song file go from the hard drive to the sound card DAC then to the Micro DAC? Or does the song file go directly, from the hard dirve, to the Micro DAC via USB?

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #24 of 28
Can someone answer these last questions then I'll leave this thread alone, once and for all.
icon10.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #26 of 28
I forgot to mention that we are planning a mini meet in Honolulu next week Saturday or Sunday (18th or 19th). It may not be worthwhile for you to come over for just a few hours but I thought I would at least mention it.

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrooveTropics
So Basically its like an external sound card?

Could I then use an amp outta of this thing?

Im still interested in hearing about this device. I think Im may get an Ipod pretty soon so please suggest a good starter amp. Thanks

Could you guys give me a little more infromation on the M-Audio Audiophile USB. I looked it up, its 250.00 dollars and it seems like theres a load of other things you can do with it besides just using it to listen to music.

the micro dac is a digital to analog converter, just like your sound card. it accepts a digital signal (either through usb or optical line) and outputs an analog signal. if you use your sound card it would only be used for digital out, if you use usb you will bypass your sound card completely. keep in mind though that the microdac -only- accepts a digital signal. your ipod will not have one so you might consider a different player, one that has optical out (like ihp120).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back