Good speakers for a dorm
Apr 14, 2009 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

nkk

500+ Head-Fier
I am a college student now, and would like a pair of good speakers (budget will restrict how good, but as good as possible) for my room. I also need a USB DAC. I was looking around, and the NuForce set looks ok. Reviews say that they DAC/speakers work together well, and that they are missing base (in comes the woofer to solve that). Anyway, are there any other suggestions? Any personal views on the NuForce line? About maybe $750 for DAC and speakers and a bass if they need it. Is this a reasonable goal? I will most likely be using a laptop (hence USB DAC) and posible a DAP via Line out as a source.

Thanks,
Nkk

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 47
If you're in a dorm, won't your roomates and neighbors appreciate headphones???

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 47
Why do you mention "for dorm"? I was thinking it was to be able to keep the volume down, but clearly you want something that can be loud and boomy? You won't be able to hide the rumble of a subwoofer unless you can cough up $1000 for a nice smooth sounding subwoofer like the Totem Storm.

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 47
My roomate is sort of getting into Hi-fi, just as I am, and we have very similar tastes. As for the neighbors, I observe the more rigid than university rules 10am to 6pm quite hours, and use headphones then. This is for just being in the room and studying, where I move about to get papers and headphones are taken on and off.

As for boomy, that is not a preference so much as my newbish ignorance showing through. I want something smooth, but did not know if that was doable for the price. Apparently not.

If I have to forego the sub woofer, and get slightly better speakers and not have a bass, I am ok with that, just some support from the lower range would be nice.

Thanks,
nkk

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 47
Nonono. You can get good loud bass, but bass will always rumble if it's loud. I was referring to good subwoofers that can pull off good LOW VOLUME bass, which is something that's really hard on entry level subwoofers.

However, you don't want anything too big in a dorm room unless your dorm room is large (which is really rare). An 8" or 10" will do quite fine for your room.

Now, I'm generally not one to put down products I have never heard, but I would be willing to bet there are better speakers than that NuForce set.

Also, did you want active speakers or are you willing to get a receiver/amplifier and passive speakers?

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nonono. You can get good loud bass, but bass will always rumble if it's loud. I was referring to good subwoofers that can pull off good LOW VOLUME bass, which is something that's really hard on entry level subwoofers.

However, you don't want anything too big in a dorm room unless your dorm room is large (which is really rare). An 8" or 10" will do quite fine for your room.

Now, I'm generally not one to put down products I have never heard, but I would be willing to bet there are better speakers than that NuForce set.

Also, did you want active speakers or are you willing to get a receiver/amplifier and passive speakers?

I assume that active speakers plug into a wall and passive need the amp to plug into a wall and provide the power? As I said, I am just getting into this. I do not mind, but if i have to get a receiver it would not only take up space, but chew up part of the budget. If there is a quality difference, then that is fine, but if not, I would prefer active.

And yes, there is probably better thanthe NuForce set, which is why I asked here.

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 47
Link me to your local craigslist. I will try to see if I can find something for you there or on ebay.

Apr 14, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #9 of 47
Generally speaking, I would have to say passive speakers sound better than active speakers.

I'm going to list a bunch of speakers and subwoofers that range from "super viable" to "pushing it because it's good" for you. You pick and choose which seem best or whatever seems to fit the budget the best and ask any questions about your thoughts on the speakers.

Also, keep in mind, if you will be using the speakers for desktop use, bookshelf size is best. Tower and mini-tower speakers are great, but you should wait till you have a bigger room.

Let me know what you decide so I can help with DAC and/or amplifier with leftover budget.

P.S. Your speaker market sucks in Pittsburgh. Lol.

First, here are a bunch of subwoofers:

Velodynes are amazing subwoofer makers.
Velodyne THX Subwoofer Home Audio CT100
velodyne ct120 sub
Velodyne subwoofer
Velodyne Subwoofers at Audioholics Store

Decent entry level subs from retailers.

Energy - ESW-8 - Powered Subwoofer - Demo-Audio Advisor
Energy - ESW- Powered Subwoofer-Audio Advisor
Energy - 10.3- Powered Subwoofer - Factory Refreshed-Audio Advisor
Velodyne - VX-- Subwoofer - Factory Refreshed-Audio Advisor

Really solid passive speakers:

Haven't heard them, but I hear these are great bang for the buck.
Discount Speakers - Home Audio Speakers - Surround Sound Speaker Systems - Headphones

Any of the x-cs or x-sls or x-ls will do great.
http://www.av123.com//index.php?page...l=1&Itemid=131

ELT525M are great.
http://www.av123.com//index.php?opti...d=51&Itemid=37

If he is within driving distance, haggle him down to below $100 . This might help (Polk Audio SDA Speakers: Completed Ebay Auction Guide). Find Monitor5. This guy thinks they are M5 which are different speakers.
AudiogoN ForSale: Polk Audio M-5

Refurbished Pair of ADVENT Graduate Bookshelf Speakers
Refurbished Pair of Classic ADVENT 1 Speakers/L@@K!!!
Refurbished RETRO-Style ADVENT 2s/Incredible!!!

Either the CMT-340SE or the CBM-170SE will be great.
B-Stock Blowout Sales Event! - Ascend Acoustics Community

Paradigm is always nice.
AudiogoN ForSale: Pr Paradigm Titan Minimonitors, Nice

Dynaudio is always amazing, but haggle this guy down a bit if you can ($300 maybe?).
AudiogoN ForSale: Dynaudio Audience 40

NHT - Absolute Zero - Demo-Audio Advisor
NHT - Classic Model Two - Demo-Audio Advisor

The few active speakers that I am familiar with:
Swan D1080MkII
Swan M200MkII
M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Left / right CH speakers
Maudio studiophile AV 40 Studio Monitors M audio - eBay (item 390043129808 end time Apr-16-09 01:21:22 PDT)
M-Audio BX5a Powered Studio Monitor Pair Bi-Amped NR - eBay (item 310134534385 end time Apr-15-09 17:22:41 PDT)
M-audio BX5a active studio monitor - eBay (item 330320754839 end time Apr-15-09 07:49:27 PDT)
M-Audio BX5A BX5 A Powered Monitor Pair NEW - eBay (item 260344231024 end time May-08-09 21:42:34 PDT)
70 Watt Bi-amplified Studio Reference Monitors - 9900-52679-00
http://www.music123.com/Dynaudio-BM5...:referralID=NA
Buy Dynaudio BM5A Powered Studio Monitor | Powered Monitors | Musician's Friend
Buy ADAM Audio A5 Active Studio Multimedia Monitor | Powered Monitors | Musician's Friend
KRK VXT8 Active Studio Monitor at AmericanMusical.com
KRK | VXT6 - 90W 6" Two-Way Active Studio Monitor | VXT-6

Audioengines have coupons, contact me for more info but I think the biggest one that I have seen is 25% off.
http://www.audioengineusa.com/a5_home.php
http://www.audioengineusa.com/a2_home.php

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #11 of 47
M-Audio BX5 or 8's. Audioengine A2 or A5's

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #12 of 47
i use a pair of audioengine a2 with a 10 inch polk sub

so its
laptop>emu0404usb>splittler - a2 and sub

they are independently powered so the emu acts as a master volume

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #14 of 47
Hey you might also want to check with your university regarding speaker size regulations for dorm rooms. For instance at my college (Cal Poly San Luis Obispo) full size speaker sets (however they define it) are not allowed in your dorm room. I know of a couple people who had to take them back home on move in day for even moderately sized sets.

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 47
Thank you everyone. I will look, and no doubt inquire ina day or two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolpsych /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey you might also want to check with your university regarding speaker size regulations for dorm rooms. For instance at my college (Cal Poly San Luis Obispo) full size speaker sets (however they define it) are not allowed in your dorm room. I know of a couple people who had to take them back home on move in day for even moderately sized sets.

I believe my university has volume limits, not size ones. My current roomate (probably same for next year and after) has a computer 5.1 system and it can be loud. However, as modest volumes not only does it sound ok-ish, but the sound does not travel past our walls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back