Good source to hear the difference between lossless and mp3?
Oct 8, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #46 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by es2mac
A question about the high frequencies...
The TV in my house makes a high frequency ringing sound whenever they're on; however my mom, dad and 12-year-old sister say they can't hear it. But I can hear it and know that the TV is on even before I walk into the living room. Of course, the speakers volume is turned all the way down.
Around what frequency would that be?
Do I have a better chance at hearing the mp3 differences than my family members?
(regardless, I guess I don't know what to listen to but I did abchr-java test on my mac and I have a hard time telling 112k CBR mp3 from original... on a Senn HD600 / firewire audiophile... 96k is obvious because the pitch changed)

The tv horizontal sync frequency is 15,734 hertz for NTSC and 15,625 hertz for PAL. You may just be more sensitive to that frequency.

Oct 9, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #47 of 47
The technique I use to successfully AB encoders is to first find those samples in a track where the difference is most obvious. As a general rule, the "richer" the sample, the better. Sharp transients, many instruments playing at once, and voice passages are my favorites. After that it's just a matter of maintaining focus and playing the samples repeatedly.

Using the above procedure, I had no problem ABing (to whatever p I want) even supposedly "transparent" compression schemes like lame VBR, MPC -q8 vs the uncompressed track.

The technique I describe above is far more effective (for me) than switching sources while playing the track continuously. I suppose it's because how (sound) memory works. It's far more difficult (for me) to remember long passages in detail, so replaying the entire track isn't very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back