Good source for SA5's?
Jun 5, 2005 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

virometal

Headphoneus Supremus
The SA5K is really pleasing to my ears and wish to maximize it. At first, the DAC1 was used, but overall, I I find it too bright and thin in the lower regions for the Sony's.

Now, I am using a stock Samsung HD841. While the synergy is better, the articulation is not.

So basically, a source is desired that can add bottow weight while sacrificing as little speed/articulation as possible. I can swing up to $1200.

So far I am considering the Mini-DAC, but I am worried it might be TOO slow for the SA5.

Also in the radar is the DAC2, but the reviews, I read place it close to the DAC1.

I am also open to standalones.

Anyone have a suggestion and/or experience that can help me out?

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 9
Just a thought, but I heard a DAC2 and own a DAC-1, and they dont sound the same at all. The DAC2 is much smoother, much more suited for Jazz and the likes imho.

Jun 5, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 9
[size=small]
You may also want to inquire from those who own or have heard the Ack! dAck, especially the 2.0 version with the high resolution option. Note that I am not recommending this outright, since I have not heard it myself. However, I am strongly considering this unit myself since it is supposed to have great speed with the high res option. Personally, I greatly prefer to audition significant gear before purchase, if possible, and this I would recommend if you can arrange it.

I myself am very interested in the SA5K since I am a lover of great detail, although I will probably buy the AKG 501K (which I have auditioned) first. I would prefer to audition the SA5K before truly considering purchase. The 501K really requires a beefy, fast amp to sound their best, and I await the construction and delivery of my amp before springing for those phones.
[/size]

Jun 5, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 9
I will say this, that source is particularly important with the SA5K. I am listening to a Cyrus CD6 with the SA5K and it is definitely up to the task. The Cyrus retails at $1095. It has a relatively small footprint compared to other cdp's in this price range. The Rega Planet also comes to mind but I think I might prefer the Cyrus.

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Yes, apparently it was quite the smash at the florida meet. How would you describe its sound signature?

magic!!

It is extremely dynamic and fast paced which was FANTASTIC with the Stax SR-404 and the SA5000. I am getting this CDP as a source for my electrostatic and speaker rig. I like it's small footprint, clean lines and no-nonsense approach to funcntionality. It works...and it works well.

it is warmer than the sacdmods scd-c222es and about as detailed as the Shanling T100 that was at the meet. Both CDPs were pretty new and the effects of burn in should be interesting to observe.

So far only guzzler has this CDP on headFi...I plan to be one of the few active members with this esoteric source. I cant see why, with a little more exposure, this source will not overtake the sony and music hall sources.

Another option for you is the Rega Planet 2000 which is warm and should tame the SA5000 big time.

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 9
First, I would have to say it definitely gets my toes tapping. I would put it on the neutral side of things. The detail is excellent for a cdp in this price range. There is no sense of brightness just nice detail. I heard a few say that the SA5k's lack any midrange. I don't agree, the mids are as they belong without coloration. The notes are crisp and clean. This must be important to anyone who continues to own the SA5k's. I only have my Berendsen CDP-1 to compare and the Cyrus does not keep up. I would not expect an $1100 cdp to keep up with a $2300 cdp. I believe the Berendsen plays at a level higher than its msrp. I believe the same of the Cyrus.

Maybe Guru will chime in as he has spent far more time with the Cyrus over the last 2 days.

Jun 6, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #9 of 9
I use a Mini-DAC with my SA5000s and although I don't have any high end digital sources to compare at the moment, I really don't think this setup is at all "too slow." Especially with closely mic'ed acoustic guitar, the detail is just as mind-boggling as usual, though not overly intrusive. Great, full (but controlled) bass and a not-too-dry midrange (though not still not comparable to the K1000s) counteract any notions of brightness. I should note that my SA5000s aren't stock, so they aren't as trebly as others, but even without the added acoustic damping they sound fine with the Mini-DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back