Good source (and amp?) shipped to Norway
Sep 21, 2004 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EasyRaider

Head-Fier
I have decided to replace my Audigy 1, at least for music. (Random note: If there is one electronics company I would like to see go belly up, it's Creative!) I will also try out the Senn HD595. I am hoping I won't need an amp, but I would rather not find out that I do after getting an expensive source. I am looking to spend upto about $400 total, excluding sales tax (24%) and phones.

Check out this thread for more background. To recap, female vocals and good all-round performance are the key issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by myself
I don't really want to buy an amp, for three reasons:
1) They are hard to get hold of for a Norwegian resident.
2) I have gotten the impression that only expensive amps (>~$400) really make substantial improvements in sound quality.
3) Cheaper amps typically have poor balance at low volumes, which is a big no to me, since I like to listen (at low volumes) while studying.

I was originally set on the Emu 1212M, but I'm having second thoughts. I would like an external solution for added flexibility, but not if it would cost significantly more. I am also very interested in the Revolution 5.1, since this hopefully could replace my Audigy altogether. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of opinions and reviews of it yet.

Here are some sound cards I can get domestically (the Emus are a bit pricey for my liking):
Chaintech AV-710 ~$35
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 ~$151
Emu 0404 ~$178
Emu 1212M ~$345

I am open for shipping overseas, but I don't know where to buy from. Also, keep in mind that imports will be subject to 24% sales tax, so it won't always be much cheaper.

One more thing, please state specifically which cables/interconnects I will need.

Thank you.

Sep 21, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 8
Creative owns E-MU
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by juni0r
Creative owns E-MU
smily_headphones1.gif

You mean literally, right?!
smily_headphones1.gif
As in "E-mu is a subsidiary of Creative"... not "Creative beats the pants out of E-mu" (which it does still!)
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by proxops-pete
You mean literally, right?!
smily_headphones1.gif
As in "E-mu is a subsidiary of Creative"

Yes. Creative Labs bought EMU and the DSP chips on the Audigy/2/ZS are EMU designs. If you peel the label off the "E-DSP" on an EMU card you'll see "Creative Labs Audigy" printed on the chip because EMU figured out how to get the EMU10k2 (A/2/ZS DSP processor) to run at 44.1KHz (many people suspect they're reclocking (not resampling) the signal).

Sep 22, 2004 at 2:12 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
http://no.europe.creative.com/

Order it from there. I got the emu 0404 for 99 euros shipped with taxes and all into Finland.

Thanks, that's a much better price for the 0404.

I read somewhere in this forum that the 0404 has 1/4" unbalanced output. Does that mean I can plug headphones directly into the card?

Also, does anyone have any ideas how the 0404 and HD595 combo will sound? To my understanding, they are both quite aggressive and forward. I'm worried it will be a bit too much.

Sep 22, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Yes. Creative Labs bought EMU and the DSP chips on the Audigy/2/ZS are EMU designs. If you peel the label off the "E-DSP" on an EMU card you'll see "Creative Labs Audigy" printed on the chip because EMU figured out how to get the EMU10k2 (A/2/ZS DSP processor) to run at 44.1KHz (many people suspect they're reclocking (not resampling) the signal).

blink.gif
Wouldn't that mean the DAC on, say, an EMU 404 is no better than a DAC on an Audigy?

Now this I don't believe...

Sep 22, 2004 at 3:07 PM Post #8 of 8
It means just the DSP chip. DAC and the analog stage and lots of other stuff are different between EMU and Audigy cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back