Good sounding PC speakers
Dec 29, 2016 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

OctavianH

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

Can someone advise for some good PC speakers (active monitors or something) in the budget of 500EUR max (less is welcomed)?
I was looking at audioengine a5+ but I am not sure if they are not to "bassy" for my tastes (which expect mature sound, with mids and highs as well). I own a decent DAC (see sig).

Thanks!

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 27
Despite having some of the recommended pairs, they're still in boxes yet unused so I can't firsthand, but I would recommended googling on some of the PC gaming magazines and website, because they do reviews and recommendations of best pics.

And some of them are little-known names it's good to learn of.

It's good to have that info instead of just going with the big sellers.

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 27
The Audioengine A5+ are decent speakers, but you are paying extra for the integrated DAC that you won't be using. I would suggest buying powered monitors like the Adam Audio F5 or the Emotiva Airmotiv 5S/6S.

Emotiva sells their speakers in pairs and Adam Audio sells them single.

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 27
A5+ do not have a DAC integrated, only A2+ has it. But I do not need it, for me NFB11 is perfect. I am not sure if these are the best option for me, because from what I read they have rolled off mids and too much bass Other say they are too warm.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 27
Sorry, I got the two Audioengines mixed up. Which speakers are you refering to as bassy with rolled off mids? The A5+ compared to the F5 will sound muddy and lifeless. The soundstage on the F5 will also be better especially in the high end from those ribbon tweeters. The way I see it, if you have the room to afford the Adam Aduio F5, the Audioengines shouldn't even be considered. As for Emotivas, they have a similar sound to the F5, but being less detailed. And being that they're from the USA, I would avoid them due to the import tax associated with it and just buy the F5s.

The F5s are near-field speakers, so they're meant to be and sound better with them close to your ears. Also, there are 2 EQ knobs you can adjust to tune the sound to your preference.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #7 of 27
Yes I am considering F5 and also looking to A5X. Any words about these ones? A5X seems an upgrade to F5 and in other league to the A5+.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 27
I'm not sure about the A5X, never listen to them. I would also consider Focal Alpha 65 and JBL LSR308. If possible, it is always best to go to a store and have a listen for yourself.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 27
One problem might be the size, because I plan to keep them on the desk. I think 308 are too big (thinking on max 20cm width/25cm depth).
What confuses me on F5 is that you do not have volume/power on the front. You keep them on "idle" all day long? No on/off switching?

Here a pic with the desk:

They have to replace the small Creative T40. The PC case might go under the desk for more space, but still, I would not choose huge ones for this setup. 

And regarding A5X, now I see that the price was per unit, not pair, so I think they are too expenssive. I might stick with F5.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #10 of 27
For my speaker set up, I have both volume pots set to about 10 o'clock and then have my Schiit Jotunheim volume knob control the volume as I need. So the volume pots on the back of the speakers never get touched. As for powering them on and off, I have a master outlet on my PC. When my computer is turned off, the other slave outlets also cut power. Considering your limited desk space, maybe the smaller A3X might be a better fit for you.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #12 of 27
The A3X are good with one caveat being they boosted the low frequencies a bit to compensate on the smaller woofers. So it's best if you pair them with a subwoofer.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #14 of 27
Then you best bet is still probably the F5. Mids will be better on the F5 than the A3X.

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #15 of 27
I ordered a pair of A5X from Amazon.de at the price of 700. After some reading I think they might be the best choice for me. If they do not cancel the order I might find out if I was right. Specs are OK, size seems OK and they have also a stereo link to use them as a pair with same volume. On off buttons are on front. Let's see.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back