Good soundcard with RCA outputs
Mar 1, 2007 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

syncmaster68

Head-Fier
I need a nice soundcard with RCA outputs. Why that? Because I plan to use it on my LIttle Dot2++ headphone amp, and 'Ive got plenty of decent quality RCA cables. I'm in no mood for hunting esoteric interconnects (as for emu 0404 PCI).

I was thinking of M-audiophile 2496...anybody who already listened to it?

Any good one under 120$ would be fine. I know, it's a tough challenge for my fellow head-fiers, but I still keep the faith...

Mar 1, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tough challenge? Pfft. Onkyo SE150/200 PCI soundcard.

Gee, thanks, that was quick...But I would appreciate one which would be a little bit easier to find over here...
I find no seller whatsoever for Onkyo souncards...

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 19
You're better off buying a sound card with known good sound quality and purchasing adapters to suit your needs. I'm sure some no-name foreign company could whip up a sound card with RCA outs, but it's questionable whether it would be studio quality.
biggrin.gif

For cards with 1/4" TS/TRS output, just get some 1/4" to RCA adapters.

Mar 1, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 19
Ok, let's say I buy the E-mu 0404, what kind type of adapter do I need in order to use it on a regular, 2 x stereo RCA input headphone amp?

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 19
Does it have to be an internal soundcard? How about a USB DAC which is pretty much an external soundcard except with a more specialized role. I have one, and whenever I want to use my internal soundcard (for games and when I want to use speakers) i just unplug it and windows automatically reverts to it.

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by syncmaster68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, let's say I buy the E-mu 0404, what kind type of adapter do I need in order to use it on a regular, 2 x stereo RCA input headphone amp?

1/4" to RCA, just like the adapters in the picture I posted. You'll plug those into the 1/4" outputs on the 0404, then connect RCA cables to the adapters and your headphone amp.

Mar 1, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it have to be an internal soundcard? How about a USB DAC which is pretty much an external soundcard except with a more specialized role. I have one, and whenever I want to use my internal soundcard (for games and when I want to use speakers) i just unplug it and windows automatically reverts to it.

No, it doesn't have to be an internal card. But I'm not sure whether the USB DAC which costs and sounds like the e-mu 0404 really exists...

Mar 1, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by syncmaster68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it doesn't have to be an internal card. But I'm not sure whether the USB DAC which costs and sounds like the e-mu 0404 really exists...

What about the E-MU 0404 USB?
icon10.gif

I suppose it is double the price, though.

Mar 1, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the E-MU 0404 USB?
icon10.gif

I suppose it is double the price, though.

Ahem, that would be a problem indeed. Any other suggestions?

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #15 of 19
Used M-Audio Audiophile USB. The RCA outputs are extremely good. I'm rather shamefully using one as my source at the moment due to temporary money constraints. However, I'm very pleased to say it is capable of glorious sound. It also has a digital coaxial out for whenever you decide to upgrade your DAC.

BTW the 0404 USB doesn't have RCA outputs. You'll have to use a mono-TRS to female RCA adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back