Good Soundcard or AMP/DAC setup for a newbie?
Jan 28, 2008 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Marl

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a newbie and am just beginning to get an idea of how things work. I also have some extra cash around and my sound card is failing. Also I am ordering some Grado sr80s today. I am only going to use my PC as my music source.

Here is my question, should I pour money into a new sound card for my PC or should I get a DAC/AMP sort of setup for around the same price? I'm looking to spend around $150.

While looking around, I saw head room's bithead amp/dac. It looks like what I want. Can such a DAC handle flac? What about games? (I'm not a big gamer anyway so that isn't really a factor but it would be nice).

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 16
I had the same question a few years ago. I went for a sound card first, and then saved my money for a nice external DAC. That will give you time to save, and figure out exactly what you want. However, figuring out what you want is still a problem of mine.

Jan 28, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 16
Stretch your budget a bit, you might want to consider to get Go-Vibe petite (AMP/DAC), external DAC always better than on-board soundcard *unless it's heavily modified*, beside using amp would improve your headphone listening
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 16
Hi, Don't mean to jack your thread but I have the same problem. I have X-Fi card and was looking at getting an external DAC/AMP to pair with my HD650s. Looking for something under 500$ but I could be persuaded to spend more if there was a significant difference.

Any suggestions?
tia

Jan 30, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #10 of 16
Alight, I narrowed it down to four DAC/AMPS that look like they are in my price range.

Which one would be best with my Grado sr80s?

UHA-3 USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier
Headstage Lyrix Pro USB
HeadRoom Total BitHead
Go-Vibe petite

Help would be appreciated.

Jan 30, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 16
All of them should be alright with your Grado SR80,
now back to your personal preferences, what kind of sound do you after?

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 16
I mostly listen to indie/rock/post rock/electronic sorts of stuff, but I listen to classical a bit as well. That's why I chose Grado in the first place, but that seems like an easy decision comparatively. I suppose I want an in-your-face-rock sort of sound, but clean at the same time.

Also I just sold off my 360 and rock band for a little more room in this endeavor, so 220 including shipping is a good new limit.

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

I suppose I want an in-your-face-rock sort of sound, but clean at the same time.

In that case, check out the new Corda 2Move DAC/AMP, it's little brother 'headsix' has that kind of sonic characteristic, very engaging, closer to stage. I'm sure you will like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back