Good sound card (coax) as transport for Gamma2
Mar 24, 2010 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

slowpogo

500+ Head-Fier
I just built a Gamma2. I was using my Emu 1212m as the transport (coax out) and it sounded noticeably better than using my on-board sound's SPDIF output.

However, I just upgraded my motherboard, and now I can't get the 1212m to work. I'm not sure I'll be able to, and it's several years old now so I'm thinking about getting a new card.

I'm looking for something that is reasonably priced (hopefully not more than $100, if less then great) but will offer solid SPDIF coax output for the Gamma2 DAC. I don't use ebay, also, so nothing used. I prefer coax simply because I already have a nice coax cable.

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 16
Do you need or want any features on the card that will translate to the DAC when used such as headphone virtualization or gaming routines etc.or do you want a simple clean precise S/pdif?
What about other devices, have you looked at the Hiface? It is USB to Coax or BNC but people around here are giving it great marks.

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 16
I don't need anything more than what something like the Hiface offers - or a sound card, as you say, with precise clean SPDIF output. For games or other stuff, I can always use my on-board sound (which is pretty good actually).

The only problem is, where do you buy this Hiface? I see lots of reviews when I google but no retailers.

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't need anything but what something like the Hiface offers. For games or other stuff, I can always use my on-board sound (which is pretty good actually).

The only problem is, where do you buy this Hiface? I see lots of reviews when I google but no retailers.

M2Tech HiFace USB to SPDIF or BNC Interface

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 16
Have you tried the on board coax out of your new motherboard? Perhaps it, or the USB option of the gamma 2, will provide a temporary solution until you can save the extra money?

Maybe keep trying to get your 1212m to work with the new mobo?

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 16
I stated in the first post that the 1212m sounded better than my on-board SPDIF - so yeah, obviously I can use the on-board in the meantime. But I'm looking for lower-jitter options...

'just use whatever card you can find that has S/pdif output'

Really? My point is, I think some cards are better than others, so I don't want to 'just use whatever.' Are there any cards people would recommend in the ~$100 or below range that would stand out as having lower jitter?

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 16
I said use whatever card you can find because basically I would doubt you're going to notice any difference at that price point...they will all be just cheap generic S/pdif outputs.
Some suggest using cards like the old A-710 or other older cards that can be found for cheap but don't expect miracles, they are cheap for a reason.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 16
You could consider the ESI Juli@ (which is what I have actually). They're usually around $85 ~ $90 here in the FS forum.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 16
My bad on the coax. I thought you were referring to the old mobo's coax in comparison to the 1212m, not the new one.

Do you care about 24 bit?

Quote:

I stated in the first post that the 1212m sounded better than my on-board SPDIF - so yeah, obviously I can use the on-board in the meantime. But I'm looking for lower-jitter options...

'just use whatever card you can find that has S/pdif output'

Really? My point is, I think some cards are better than others, so I don't want to 'just use whatever.' Are there any cards people would recommend in the ~$100 or below range that would stand out as having lower jitter?

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PScal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My bad on the coax. I thought you were referring to the old mobo's coax in comparison to the 1212m, not the new one.

Do you care about 24 bit?

Almost anything I might possibly listen to will be lossless CD rips - but I do some occasional home recording, so the 24-bit could be useful (even just as a secondary playback reference), but it is not crucial.

But as far as I'm aware, pretty much all relatively recent sound cards (even cheap ones and most on-board sound) have 24-bit capability, so I'm confused why you would ask.

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenneth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could consider the ESI Juli@ (which is what I have actually). They're usually around $85 ~ $90 here in the FS forum.

Never thought of that one. Good call.

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 16
I asked because I think the gamma 2 usb input is limited to 16 bit.

Did you build the entire gamma 2 including the USB board, or did you only build part of it? I think the gamma 2's usb is an option that should be considered, since you (may) already have it.

beerchug.gif

Quote:

Almost anything I might possibly listen to will be lossless CD rips - but I do some occasional home recording, so the 24-bit could be useful (even just as a secondary playback reference), but it is not crucial.

But as far as I'm aware, pretty much all relatively recent sound cards (even cheap ones and most on-board sound) have 24-bit capability, so I'm confused why you would ask.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #15 of 16
Actually, I believe the gamma2 is 24/192 capable. It upsamples everything to 24/192 before analog conversion - but I think it also can accept any signal up to that resolution (amb's site is not responding right now, or else I'd check). In any case, if I set my mobo SPDIF output to 24/192, the gamma2 still takes it fine.

Yeah, I built the full configuration of gamma1 + gamma2. I can use the USB input. That still sounds pretty good, but the coax from 1212m was definitely better. It may seem that I'm splitting hairs but I've learned that I have pretty sensitive ears...for example I'm one of (seemingly) very few people who can easily hear differences between the gamma2's three "digital filters."

I have read more about the Hiface, and that sounds perfect for my needs...I'll see what I can do to save/scrounge up a few more bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back