Good Solid State speaker amp around 150wpc
Nov 19, 2003 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

drewski

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good solid state speaker amp in the used ~1K range. This will be driving my front speakers in a home theater setup, but I would like suggestions as if this were just a 2 channel setup.

It needs to be around 150 wpc, and I want something that doesn't run really hot (meaning no class A amps!). No tubes because this is a HT setup and gets used quite a bit by my wife and kids. Some of the names I've been looking at are McCormack, Bryston, Marsh, and Belles. I've heard the Bryston & the McCormack amps before, but not the others. Honestly, I can't remember the sound of the McCormack amps, so if someone let me know what its characteristics are, that would be helpful.

Any suggestions???

Thanks!

Nov 19, 2003 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 14
I've heard the McCormack DNA-125 in my friends system [Music Hall CD-25 --> Nordost Blue Heaven --> tube preamp designed by Cary (N.E.W. - now discontinued) --> AZ Matrix Ref. --> poweramp --> Signal Cable Speaker Cables --> Maggie 1.6s]. The McCormack sounded very detailed but overly bright. It was also not very musically involving.

I also heard a Muse amp in this guy's system. I forgot the model number but it is around 3-4 years old. The Muse seemed to sound more musical than the McCormack, and I preferred this amp. My friend found that the sound was not detailed enough for his liking.

Have also heard the Roge Audio Model 88 w/ 6550s in his system also and although it sounds very nice for voice, it is a mixed bag with particular instruments. For example, the clarinet on track 1 of the Jazz at the Pawnshop CD sounds lifeless, while on track 7, the saxophone sounds incredible. There is a pronounced midrange with this amp. Soundstaging is also lacking (could be the lack of power as it is 60 wpc but Magnepan supposedly uses this amp combo with the 1.6). I wouldn't be able to live with this amp. However, it is a great deal for the price (used).

The amp that has sounded the most musically involving and that had the type of sound that I enjoy is an old Eagle Model 2 amp. The Eagle Model 2 supposedly has a cult following because the original designer Iverson suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth. The unit that my friend has is supposedly a proto-type unit and he says that it sounds better than previous Model 2's that he has owned. I think you can find these for around $650 on Audiogon, but they don't come up often.

Nov 19, 2003 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 14
I've actually heard the Eagle way back in the day (back in the late 80's I think). It was a good sounding amp back in the days! Thanks for the information about the DNA125. I actually owned a N.E.W. preamp, and it usually mates very, very well with S.S. amps because of it's laid back characteristics (it also depends on the tubes that are used)- so to hear that it was bright sounding with the maggies, then it's definitely not what I'm looking for. As for the Muse amp, I'm looking for something a little more mainstream because I'm getting killed on resale value on stuff that I like but no one else wants! Sad that I have to do this, but something can get all the great reviews, but sound like crap on your system.

GlowWorm- the 3B-SST and the 4b-SST are on my list. Brystons are never bad sounding, and the SST series is supposed to smooth out the top end and midrange harsness that the earlier versions had, so this may be my choice after reading Yidimsum's comments on the McCormack.

I forgot one more that's on my list- the Odessey Stratos is supposed to be a decent amp also.

Thanks for the input!

Nov 19, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 14
smily_headphones1.gif
I forgot to mention the Odyssey Stratos. The same guy had the Odyssey Stratos amp (stereo version) in his system before he went amp crazy and didn't like the sound much - preferred the Eagle 2 over this. I didn't like the sound of the Odyssey much - it didn't seem to have much PRAT and was very solid-state sounding. I'm a tube fan, so my opinions are likely biased towards warmer ss. I'm also not a big fan of Maggie 1.6, but they are good for the money. Have you considered a pair of VTL monoblocks (maybe an older model)? They are fairly neutral in the realm of tubes, but the tubey goodness is still there. But they do run hot. I like the Manley sound quite a bit and moved from a pair of VTL TT-25s to a pair of Manley Retro 300B SE/PP amps.

Nov 19, 2003 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 14
Yidimsum- Man, is there an amp that your friend didn't have?

This is an amp for my home theatre setup, so I'd rather not go tubes. I'm just being picky and just trying to get a little better performance from 2 channel playback on that system. I want it to be decent, but I don't want it to be overkill- there are several amps that I really like in the used $3K range, but I don't want to spend that much on something that will spend most of its time playing Barney songs!

Thanks for the Oddessey information!

Nov 19, 2003 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 14
What about the PS Audio HCA-2? Exactly 150 watts, meets your price criteria, supposedly very good sound and with a 93% efficiency it runs very cool. I havent heard it personally but the reviews are all very good to excellent. I like the McCormack amps (dna-125/dna 0.5) with a passive preamp. With a 100kohm impedence and needing only 1 volt for full output any active preamp I tried has to much gain, if you want any range on your volume control. The amp is on the lean side but its very clear and uncolored and pure sounding to me. The soundstaging is quite good. The bass goes low and the midbass has good definition. The amp has speed and dynamics a plenty and starts and stops on a dime. The amp has a very open and natural sound used with a passive pre. I would recommend getting two monarchy se-100 dlx monoblocks or monarchy sm-70 pro's above all these; but they are class A amps and run hot. The sound of these is a step up from all the other solid state amps I have auditioned. They are small and very well built. They have both balanced and single ended inputs. I find them very warm and dimensional with a particularly good midrange; tubelovers solid state. The monarchy's are also easy to drive and an easy load like the McCormacks for the partnering preamp and match best with a passive preamp. In fact I understand the Ps Audio also has the same high input impedence and low voltage needs for full output as well, and is another amp probably best mated to a passive preamp. However the monarchys have the tonal richness to pull off mating with a passive preamp the best of all the amps I mentioned.

Nov 20, 2003 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for the additional suggestions. I did have the PS Audio on my list, but forgot to mention it here. I've just heard some mixed reviews on this amp- the reviewers seem to like it, but all of the people that I know that have heard it don't like it. The technology is very interesting, and the fact that it runs cool is also very nice because my family room really heats up in the summer months. I'm kind of kicking myself for not listening to it now because one of the local dealers had it, but they told me they were pretty sure that I wouldn't like it!

Nov 20, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #10 of 14
I can highly recommend the McCormack DNA .05 deluxe. Especially if it has been upgraded to at least the "B" mods by Steve McCormack. It has a very smooth and warmish sound for a SS amp, the bass is solid and tuneful (although in the basic form it may be missing just a bit of slam on the lowest end of the spectrum), and I never had a moments problem with it. You can find them on A-gon every so often in the $500 to 1k range depending on what mods they've had. If you really need more wattage go for the DNA 1.0. In my opinion, they are really good amps for the money, and you can always have SMC upgrade it if you want more refinement later.

Side note of interest: The DNA .05 amps mate very well with tube preamps, so if anyone is interested in a speaker based system on a relative budget, this is a great way to go. [Edit: As SACDlover pointed out this amp is great with a passive like the McCormack TLC-1. An active preamp needs to be a low-gain design or there is little travel on the volume control. 15db or less would be ok. Mine were a bit too hot at 23db and 19db, but they still sounded terrific.]

Just my op., ymmv.

gb

Nov 21, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #12 of 14
Hey Drewski, I am finally getting around to upgrading my speaker setup. I just bought a Classe CA-100 and so far I am really enjoying the music that comes through! I have it paired with Gilmore V2 and it is sounding natural and dynamic so far...

Just one more for you to think about. You may want to look at some of their more expensive amps. The parts quality gets better in the higher powered models.

Nov 25, 2003 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 14
I ended up ordering the PS Audio HCA-2. I'm really curious if I'll like it or not. I don't think I'll get it for a week or two, but I'll update when I do get it. I'll try it for a while, then maybe change the caps to blackgates if needed (supposed to make it sound even better).

Gbeard, I tried to find a DNA 225, but all that are on the market right now are pretty high priced. They should go for about $1400 to $1500 used, but everyone wants $1700 and up for the ones that are selling right now.

Dave- I've heard great things about the Portal, but this will be coming off of my Bryston 1.7 processor, so I don't need an integrated. I also have my RKV MK II hooked into that system, so don't need a headphone amp for that system either.

Canman- I liked the sound of the Classe integrated, so I did look for a CA200/201 which is in my price range used. They sell really quickly, so I wasn't able to get one. I'm not very patient and I really wanted to try the PS Audio anyways, so I'll go from there.

Nov 25, 2003 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 14
Congrats on the PS Audio HCA-2. Remember, PS Audio lets you do a 30 day home trial, so if you do not like it, you can always send it back. Mine sounded good right out the box, but kept on improving up to 400 hours, so make sure to let it burn in before you judge it. It also works much better with a better power cord. Be sure to let us know your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back