Good solid state desktop AMPs <=250€ available in germany?
Apr 23, 2013 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kirdie

New Head-Fier
It seems like almost nothing I read about here (like the Schiit Asgard or the Objective 2) is available here, or only with a very high shipping cost through ebay. Can someone from Germany recommend me the headphone amplifier with the best price/value for 250 € max? I have DT 880 250 Ohm and AKG Monitor K141 600 Ohm Headphones.

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
It seems like almost nothing I read about here (like the Schiit Asgard or the Objective 2) is available here, or only with a very high shipping cost through ebay. Can someone from Germany recommend me the headphone amplifier with the best price/value for 250 € max? I have DT 880 250 Ohm and AKG Monitor K141 600 Ohm Headphones.

Hello Kirdie

I am in the UK, but for me your question is easy to answer. I think you might wish to check out the amps by Meier-Audio:

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de

Click on the button at the top "Phones + Amps".

I use a Meier-Audio DAC (a StageDAC, now discontinued) and I have a portable Meier-Audio amplifier.

I have had extremely good experience with both my Meier-Audio products and I can tell you that the after-sales service is excellent. I emailed Jan Meier with a question about my StageDAC and I got a very thorough response quickly from him.

I see that you wish to spend €250 max. For that you could buy the Meier-Audio Corda Rock which is €220 inside the EU.

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 11
Thank you very much for the suggestion! I will check it out right now. I always prefer German manufacturers because I feel the prices are always more expensive the more distance you have from the company because of shipping and everything :)

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 11
I just got a private offer for a used Meier Concerto for 369 € in great condition, it's a bit over budget but would that be a big quality jump over the Corda Rock?

Apr 23, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
I just got a private offer for a used Meier Concerto for 369 € in great condition, it's a bit over budget but would that be a big quality jump over the Corda Rock?

I haven't experience of the Concerto so I cannot comment on directly on the quality jump issue. It does have the Meier Audio crossfeed and this is an excellent thing to have.

I can't remember the original price of the Concerto. I notice the Classic is €595 and this comes with 2 years warranty I think.

If someone offered me a Concerto for €369 I think I'd respond saying that I'd pay €300.

There is a review of the Concerto here:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/meier3/meier.html

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #9 of 11
I was facing similar problems but I found a few distributors for imported amps:

Audiophonics (FR)

Based in France, they sell Schiit and Audio-gd gear. I haven't really digged deeper but I guess they will also have numerous other brands available.

Thomann (GER)

Generally a good source for audiophile/studio equipment, i.e. Lake People/Violectric.

Inter Projekt (PL)

Audio-gd. That's mainly it, but their offer is different from Audiophonics. So if there is an Audio-gd amp/dac/combo that you want that's not listed on Audiophonics, give this one a go. Apparently the prices are w/o VAT, though. Haven't bought anything from them yet, just repeating what I read somewhere else!

Sonority Audio (NL)

Schiit, Burson Audio, YBA, ... good stuff, generally. Plus they are extremely helpful.

Madooma (GER)

Generally has more expensive stuff from Lehmann Audio, Furutech, Violectric, HiFiMAN. I bought my HiFiMAN HE-400 there and I have to say that I have very rarely experienced such brilliant customer support. The owner, Dr. Scheer, would answer emails at any time of the day when I bugged him with questions or requests, even while they were officially "on holiday". Massively impressed.

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #10 of 11
Kirdie, did you get the O2 yet? What DAC are you intending to use?

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #11 of 11
I think it will take a while because I was ordering it on Thursday and he only goes to the post office for Germany on Wednesday. So I expect it to arrive start of the week after the next.

I plan on using it with my IPod through my LOD cable and with my PC on my Asus Xonar DX soundcard.

Edit: I hope the standard 6,5x gain is enough for the LOD cable. I was thinking about getting it changed to 10x but then calculated 6,5x to be somewhat enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back