Good software for convierting AVI to WMA/Mpeg?
Jun 22, 2007 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

EsthetiX

1000+ Head-Fier
Yah, so my Zune came in off ebay today.. Really liking it so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, most of my movies are already in the right format for Zune but there are a few I need to convert. I could see how this could be a pain for a lot of people who have their entire collection in AVI format or something. Luckily for me I have a wicked fast C2D machine I just build heh
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions for me?

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 15
zune (wiki)
video: MPEG4 (in .mp4, .m4v and .mov containers), H.264 (in .mp4, .m4v and .mov containers), WMV (.wmv), ASF (.asf)

SUPER

Free, pretty fast, decent results for most conversions, queueable conversion tasks, drag and drop...

Jun 23, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 15
Cool, I will give this one a try.. I tried xilisoft zune converter and a couple others but they gave me some weird issues with sound distortion and actually increasing file size (even though the settings were lower and should have down the opposite)...

Jun 23, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 15
Dang.. I was trying to c "onvert my elegant universe series (which is in AVI) and it just errors 1/3rd through with this converter
frown.gif
"ffmpeg.exe has encountered an error" or something.

Jun 23, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang.. I was trying to c "onvert my elegant universe series (which is in AVI) and it just errors 1/3rd through with this converter
frown.gif
"ffmpeg.exe has encountered an error" or something.

use (Windows Media Encoder) its quick, easy, and free from Microsoft

Jun 27, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 15
Hey, one question, are you satisfied with the zune? How's the sound quality/battery life?

Jun 27, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, one question, are you satisfied with the zune? How's the sound quality/battery life?

Totally, I did a couple mini reviews in other threads here..
I went and checked out the ZVM the other day. Totally glad i went with zune.
SQ is fantastic, Battery is good enough for me. It lasts. Typically I charge my mp3 players every time after a day of use when I go to bed at night so battery life isnt a huge issue. It's actually not that bad on the zune though.

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #10 of 15
No idea what its all about it has only happened with that one software that I tried. Not with anything else. Basically I got about 90% through a movie/avi file conversion and it would stop with that error coming up.

Jun 27, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #11 of 15
Yeah, it's a huge pain to go through conversion software. They crash half-way through conversion, which is a big reeason why i never buy iPods. Can the zune play mp4/mpgs though? I understand that it's listed as supporting wmv but I don't understand how it would not support mpg.

Jun 27, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it's a huge pain to go through conversion software. They crash half-way through conversion, which is a big reeason why i never buy iPods. Can the zune play mp4/mpgs though? I understand that it's listed as supporting wmv but I don't understand how it would not support mpg.

The zune software automatically convertsmp4/mpg into wmv when you drag them into the program to be uploaded to the zune. I just built a wicked fast computer so its no big deal. If theyre already proper setting wmv's they just do an immediate upload.

For converting AVI and certain formats you need 3rd party software. I haven't had any issues with any of them crashing with the exception of one mentioned on here.

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #13 of 15
did you try enabling "Use DirectShow" in SUPER? that tends to be best for AVI files I find...

May 13, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #15 of 15
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

I did a double-take when I read post #1 "Yah, so my Zune came in off ebay today".

Pro-tip: it's been 11 years. Looks like EsthetiX has moved on to other/newer gear. :wink:

(Man I miss Zune)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back