good socal headphone/audio stores?
Mar 29, 2008 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

the rev

100+ Head-Fier
i live in so cal, [san diego]
and i wanted to know of san good stores around the san diego area/la area to test out headphones. i don't know anyone out here that does and guitar center sucks :[ thanks for any tips!

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 13
I know of two good ones in SD, and they're right in the same neighborhood.

Stereo Unlimited carries Grados. Seemed like a snobby audiophile type of place, but they'll let you try their 'phones.

3191 Sports Arena Blvd (just west of Rosecrans, mini-mall with the big golf store)
Stereo Unlimited, San Diego

Sound Company is where I got my first real cans, back when I didn't even know people spent $200 for them. They carry Sennheiser and possibly a couple other brands. Great bunch of guys, there. They brought me a chair while I was comparing 'phones, and made it clear that I was welcome to sit there all day if that's what it took for me to make an informed decision.

3750 Sports Arena Blvd # 6 (just west of the arena, mini-mall with Red Lobster)
Audio & Video Equipment, Home Theater Systems. San Diego, CA

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightmare /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know of two good ones in SD, and they're right in the same neighborhood.

Stereo Unlimited carries Grados. Seemed like a snobby audiophile type of place, but they'll let you try their 'phones.

3191 Sports Arena Blvd (just west of Rosecrans, mini-mall with the big golf store)
Stereo Unlimited, San Diego

Sound Company is where I got my first real cans, back when I didn't even know people spent $200 for them. They carry Sennheiser and possibly a couple other brands. Great bunch of guys, there. They brought me a chair while I was comparing 'phones, and made it clear that I was welcome to sit there all day if that's what it took for me to make an informed decision.

3750 Sports Arena Blvd # 6 (just west of the arena, mini-mall with Red Lobster)
Audio & Video Equipment, Home Theater Systems. San Diego, CA

Wow! Awesome! you have no idea how much you just helped me out! ii wish i could rep you

does anyone else know any cool places? sigh, i don't have an LOD cable for my ipod to go test headphones out :[ :[ :[

Apr 1, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 13
If you're ever near L.A., The DXC Store in Santa Monica DXC STORE. They will let you listen to all of the Grado models, including the GS-1000 if you ask them. They have all of the lower end Grados on a listening wall. They also carry other high end headphones.

Apr 1, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're ever near L.A., The DXC Store in Santa Monica DXC STORE. They will let you listen to all of the Grado models, including the GS-1000 if you ask them. They have all of the lower end Grados on a listening wall. They also carry other high end headphones.

How are they on the friendly side? I'm growing into my headphone shoes, so If I act stupid I dont want them to shun me :[ And their prices, fair?

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 13
There is also:

STEREO DESIGN
7260 CLAIREMONT MESA BLVD.
SAN DIEGO, CA 92111
(858) 573-0060, (858) 573-0092 Fax
Stereo Design

They carry some can amps and some cans (I can't remember the makes). They were also very nice and informative. I didn't purchase any headphone stuff from them but we did talk headphone amps.

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by the rev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are they on the friendly side? I'm growing into my headphone shoes, so If I act stupid I dont want them to shun me :[ And their prices, fair?

It's laid back, very friendly, and don't be afraid to ask to try something you don't see or want to know more about. They lack the higher-end Beyerdynamics and Sennheisers, but have the lower-end/midrange ones and all the AKGs, Grados and Ultrasones you hear about here are there. They have kiosks for portable headphones and a Music Hall CD25.2 with a Creek and a Grado RA-1 amp hooked up to it for the higher-end cans, so bring along your iPod and some CDs and take your time and listen to them.

Go check their site out and see what they have, and if it's worth it to you to come up from San Diego or not since I know Santa Monica is a bit of a drive for you.

Apr 1, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by portaprokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's laid back, very friendly, and don't be afraid to ask to try something you don't see or want to know more about. They lack the higher-end Beyerdynamics and Sennheisers, but have the lower-end/midrange ones and all the AKGs, Grados and Ultrasones you hear about here are there. They have kiosks for portable headphones and a Music Hall CD25.2 with a Creek and a Grado RA-1 amp hooked up to it for the higher-end cans, so bring along your iPod and some CDs and take your time and listen to them.

Go check their site out and see what they have, and if it's worth it to you to come up from San Diego or not since I know Santa Monica is a bit of a drive for you.

Thanks for all the information! I really appreciate it! :]

May 11, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 13
Nobody really carries high end stuff aside from the places already mentioned. Probably stuck ordering online or heading to LA stores.

SD isn't that big yet. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back