Good SoCal cans dealer?
Jan 15, 2002 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

newspaperguy

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone know a place that sells hi-end headphones in the L.A. / Orange County, California, area?

I'm sick of going to stores such as The Good Guys and Fry's only to be disappointed, and all the audiophile dealers I know around here don't carry cans.
frown.gif

I primarily want to compare the Senn HD600 with Sony's CD3000.

Jan 15, 2002 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 13
Hey i'm in OC. If I have a tendency to sell off lots of my unused headphones does that count?
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2002 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 13
I have to agree. There is nothing resembling a one stop shop for headphones. There are a few dealers that have certain brands available, but one Grado dealer in Santa Monica has the Signature line but not the 325, the RS-1, RS-2, or the RA-1.

Beyers are impossible to find.

cajunchrist

Jan 16, 2002 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Tim D
Hey i'm in OC. If I have a tendency to sell off lots of my unused headphones does that count?
tongue.gif

A fellow O.C.er -- right on!

Regarding cans, I'm always willing to deal. Like I say, I'd like to compare the HD600s with the CD3000s, tho I doubt that will happen under ANY circumstance other than a head-fi meet.

I think I'm leaning more toward the CD3000, as I prefer rock to classical. From all the reading I've done on this board, seems they are the better choice for this type of music, though it sounds like they hold their own with classical.

Then there's the whole open vs. closed debate. I don't mind the closedness of my V6s too much; I just have to take them off once in a while to let my ears "breathe." Then again, I haven't listened to open cans for any period of time ...

I swear, with this kind of internal turmoil, I may end up having to buy both one of these days.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 16, 2002 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 13
Hey Newspaperguy,

I noticed that you're interested in the Sony CD3000 and that you live in SoCal...

I live in Valley Village (Right next to North Hollywood) and I am trying to sell my pair of Sony CD3000s. They are in excellent condition, purchased 6 months ago. I'll let go of these cans for $300.

What do you think? Please let me know...

Jan 16, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Raymond Kim
Hey Newspaperguy,

I noticed that you're interested in the Sony CD3000 and that you live in SoCal...

I live in Valley Village (Right next to North Hollywood) and I am trying to sell my pair of Sony CD3000s. They are in excellent condition, purchased 6 months ago. I'll let go of these cans for $300.

What do you think? Please let me know...

Hi Raymond, that's very tempting. I'll sleep on it.

How much use have they been through, and do you still have their case and documents?

Jan 17, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 13
Okay, I heared about a place that carried good cans. I was recommended to them by this guy working at whittaker music in long beach. Ill get more info and be back to ya. If such a place does exist, it would be a nice place for head-fi meets.

Jan 17, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #11 of 13
I called the guy from Whittaker music of long beach, and he said he could have any models from the AKG and Sennheiser lines shipped to there for people to try out. He also said he would give me some kind of discount (i was asking about his vs. online prices, I think he gets some kind of huge retailer discount) He was a nice dude though, and not pushy and fulla bs like the people at best buy. etc. Not once did i hear "it wont make that much of a difference in sound quality"

anyways, If you are willing to make some phone calls and go for a nice drive, Here is the info:

Whittaker Music, Inc
2222 Bellflower Blvd
Long Beach, CA. 90815
(562) 598-2461

Hope this helps!!

Jan 17, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #12 of 13
i suggest that instead of looking for hifi audio places, you should look for musical instrument dealers.

locally in canada, i phoned up places like long+mcquade and tom lee music. tom lee carries some high end stuff including beyers and akg's.

so you may have better luck looking for musical instrument dealers.

happy hunting
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back