Good smartphone for an audiophile?
Oct 19, 2013 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

InternetSandman

Head-Fier
I've been looking to upgrade from my 16GB iPhone 5, and I'm currently using an iBasso DX100 as my portable player, but I'm looking to combine the functions so that I can just have one device that does everything. I recently tried upgrading to an HTC One 64GB, but considering the whole point of this upgrade was to get rid of the DX100, I found the sound quality, through different apps and EQ settings, to be absolutely unbearable through my CIEM's (constant background noise through the earphone jack during any silent moment in the audio stream). My iPhone doesn't seem to have this problem, and right now my top pick is a 64GB iPhone 5S and whatever lossless player I can find on the app store, but I figured I'd come here to look for Android alternatives before I make a purchase. These are my criteria for a smartphone:

Solid build quality: the iPhone and HTC One are both known for their solid construction and I want my next phone to have comparable build quality
Screen Size: If I'm going towards the Android camp I want a screen size between 4.7" and 5.5" and preferably full HD resolution
Capacity: I don't know of any 128GB smartphones on the market right now but anything above 64GB will work for my needs, though if it's say 16 or 32 with a microSD slot that will work fine
Sound Quality (obviously): I'm using Unique Melody Miracle CIEM's and I want SQ at least as good as what's offered in the iPhone 5, and recommendations on apps that will play up to 24/192 (downsampling is fine, I know the hardware itself likely isn't capable of playing that natively but my iPhone with Capriccio is capable of playing 24/192 even if it is downsampled). I tried Poweramp on the HTC One but that gave me an error on anything above 24/96

If you know of anything that meets that criteria I'd love to hear your opinions or suggestions, thanks

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 7
Was asking the same question as I have bought some Ultimate Ears Blue-tooth headphones. The Blue-tooth is great, SOUNDS INCREDIBLE, but my blackberry has shocking delivery via a cable. So now I am looking at the the new Vivo xplay 3s. Apparently has a built in DAC and a European designed (by cirrus,(I think))sound processor that can provide up to 11.1 surround sound through headphones...just waiting to read some online reviews prior to final parting of wonga.

Hope this is of Interest.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm very impressed with my LG G2. Here's a small blurb I had written on another forum

Quote:
Small blurb on the audio quality and capabilities of the LG G2:
LG's recent focus on premium audio took another step with the LG G2 which has a rewritten music stack(supported by a very good DAC) capable of outputting 24/192k audio.
LG has gone for a very no-drama uncoloured sterile sound. This is good for the mid-bass happy QB2, and maintains their overall focus on clarity ala the excellent treble. I can't say it's better than the Galaxy S3 or S(with voodoo) or the HTC One or the Note 3 or the IP5S. It doesn't stand out like the Galaxy S(voodoo) did. (Special mention for the Note 3 which sounds excellent). 
How does the USB-out to an amp perform(and does it)? Don't know. Don't have an amp. Output impedance? Don't know. Haven't seen any data specifying this.
The speaker quality is good(Doesn't go very high though). Not much action at the lower end but it conveys clarity well without being too shrill(another sign of the pursuit of clarity in the G2)
The stock player app is underwhelming. I expected LG to design a player that was at least a few steps above the competition(considering their recent audiophilia).
Anyway, I replaced it withing minutes (with PowerAmp).
>To the big question: Can it replace my clip zip as my daily source of audio?
Pros:
1. The G2 shares a sig which is similar(uncoloured, slightly cold) to the clip zip.
2. The EQ responds well on the G2 and doesn't cause a significant drain on the battery. It's easier to access and easy to use(owing to touch controls). I actually found myself adjusting the EQ on-the-fly for different tracks.
3. The G2 can play my 24/96 files. Rockbox downsamples high res music. Do I notice a difference anyway(compared to 320kbps)? Maybe a slight improvement in soundstage and imaging. Nothing else. I guess it's meant for more capable audio equipment.
Cons:
1. No extendable storage. No extendable storage. No extendable storage.
2. The clip is handy. Handier.
3. It is a little too sterile and cold for my liking. Which means it isn't the best option with my already sterile sounding RE400. Also the QB2 treble can get frown-worthy at times(didn't happen with the clip).
Bottom line: Yes and No. I won't regret forgetting my clip at all. But it will not be my go-to device either.
PS: >I don't know if it performs better than the clip zip with power hungry equipment, as I don't have anything that challenges the clip
>The QB2 is still burning in(with some Daft punk 
borg.png
). I haven't listened to it since my early impressions. The annoying fit discourages me. I'll get to it in a day or two. I really hope that mid-bass fits in.

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm using an iPhone 4S and an iPad mini with capriccio on both as my playback app, and have been tweaking the literal hell out of the equalization settings to create universally applicative parabolic decompression fields (snooty right?). Basically, it's a digital noise canceling sine wave for the cirrus DAC. I would love some feedback on this, if anyone is interested....My author name on capriccio's sound effect forum is "(((d-.-b))) audiophile" and name of the setting is X.36 Parametric Decompression.
I don't know how this would affect an outboard DAC, as I haven't had the opportunity to try one out, which probably discredits my claims of being an audiophile a tad. I just work with what I have.

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm using an iPhone 4S and an iPad mini with capriccio on both as my playback app, and have been tweaking the literal hell out of the equalization settings to create universally applicative parabolic decompression fields (snooty right?). Basically, it's a digital noise canceling sine wave for the cirrus DAC. I would love some feedback on this, if anyone is interested....My author name on capriccio's sound effect forum is "(((d-.-b))) audiophile" and name of the setting is X.36 Parametric Decompression.
I don't know how this would affect an outboard DAC, as I haven't had the opportunity to try one out, which probably discredits my claims of being an audiophile a tad. I just work with what I have.

I used cappricio for a while, but between my phone case not playing nicely with my IEM cable, and the lack of space on my iPhone, it didn't quite do what I wanted. At this point I'm just hoping for a 128GB iPhone 6 to be released in september so I can stop carrying 2 devices with me (and oh the painful irony if the SQ of the iPhone 6 sucks)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back