Good set of power cords + surge protection/strip for my Dynamight?
Jul 26, 2006 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

daba

500+ Head-Fier
I need a surge protection or strip that will allow me to use my Dynamight to its full potential while protecting it.

I really haven't any experience with power. I'm sure frequenters of this forum do though.

Anyways, for budget let's keep it under $300 for the whole kit n' kaboodle. I was thinking of getting a Tripp Lite SMART1200LCD UPS but that might not be able to handle the Dynamight.

Thanks.

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 9
My suggestion for getting the best value for your money is to buy a good power strip like this one, continue using your Volex and Quail cords, and use the rest of the money to buy a superior transport to the E-Mu 0404, like a Slim Devices Squeezebox 3. The Squeezebox will give you a transport that is outside of your computer, which would be more beneficial than $300 in power improvements IMO. This is pure speculation on my part, but that's what I would do.
wink.gif

But if you were set on spending your budget on all power stuff, maybe the Furman Power Factor Pro.

Also you should try floating the ground pin on the power cable on your Benchmark DAC1. Or you can buy one of the PS Audio power cables that have screw-off ground pins. Search the forum for this. It's basically unanimous that this improves the DAC1 sound.

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks, Borat. You've been hanging around since I began this headphone journey haven't you? I was thinking of Furman, or also Tripp Lite ISOBAR series.

And with regards to the removal of the ground pin; it's already been done -- most of my apartment doesn't have grounded outlets (which is the reason why I'm looking for some sort of protection). I really do like the Tripp Lite UPS though; I'm just unsure if it can handle the Dynamight.

Oh, and I'm not too sensitive on upgrading the EMU 0404; I play most my stuff off this cheap CDP anyway.

Jul 26, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
Thanks, Borat. You've been hanging around since I began this headphone journey haven't you?

I remember we were both dreaming of going balanced around the same time. It looks like you've made the leap. Congrats! I don't think I will have the money to do that anytime soon, but since acquiring my Singlepower, I haven't thought about it much.

BTW, I heard your amp at a meet when it belonged to foo_me with his balanced Qualia 010 and it was "the bomb"
tongue.gif

Quote:

I was thinking of Furman, or also Tripp Lite ISOBAR series.

Ferbose has that Furman unit and he said it improved all of the components he plugged into it, and he is a Benchmark owner a well.

The problem with getting good surge protection is that these products often degrade sound quality by restricting dynamics and such. That is why it's commonly recommended to use non-current limiting power strips with no surge protection. But who wants to plug in their new $1500 balanced amp without any protection?
wink.gif

I recommended that Monster Power Bar because people like markl have said the difference between that and plugging direct into the wall is negligible (a good thing). I used to own it and I thought the same thing. Although admittedly my stuff is not hi-end. Plus the Monster Power products, unlike their cables, have been pretty well-received. Haven't read anything about Tripp-Lite products.

Quote:

Oh, and I'm not too sensitive on upgrading the EMU 0404; I play most my stuff off this cheap CDP anyway.

Oh cool. Forget what I said about the Squeezebox then. It's just me dreaming about my ideal computer based setup.

Jul 26, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks... I had an interim EarMax Pro which was pretty good until I finally bit the bullet. Now, $1500 poorer I can almost enjoy the music.

The Monster PC1000/1100 seems like a pretty good deal and it's inexpensive. Plus, if it comes from the man who can hear the differences in power cords I guess it's a no brainer. But, I'm tempted to get a Tripp Lite "just because."

Good luck on your computer setup.

Jul 27, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 9
Volt: It looks good but it seems I need a 20A power cord. Can I use the Quail or Volex 17604?

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
too much money. alms for the poor!

And yes, if you want, i'll use the bagel pads as my coin holder...or preferably: hundred-dollar-bill holder
gs1000.gif

You'd have a better shot on Telegraph...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back