Good semi-past entry level headphones
Dec 5, 2011 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ptv999

New Head-Fier
After two and a half years of use, my Audio-Technica ATH-E37 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00164F1EY/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

died on me (the left side's wiring got screwed up I'm guessing). Hence, I'm looking for some new cans, and was thinking of upgrading to full-sized ones. I think the ATH-E37 were a good entry level for me, and I was considering upgrading by a bit, but not too much (preferably under 250 dollars or dare I say 200). Which full-size headphones would you recommend for me?

Perhaps some description:
I do like bass, but not too overpowered (I do like my fair share of highs and mids).
No preference on noise-cancelling
I will be using the headphones for music, youtube commentaries and a bit of gaming (no mic necessary).
I listen to pretty much all genres of music except country and trash rap.
Preferably full-sized, but perhaps even good portable ones might work.Right now, I'm just using my pair of Hifiman RE0.
I do have one amp, but it's just a Nuforce iCon model http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NXWSBM/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details
And lastly, something that I can buy accessibly (as in, I can buy from places like Amazon or in-life retailers).

Thanks!

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 4
Dec 5, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:

Thanks a lot! I'll look into those. So far, I'm probably going to decide between the Sennheiser HD598 and the AKG K240 MKII.

What are the differences between the two?

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 4
I'd like to throw the Ultrasone PRO 550 into the ring. First of all, it'd be under your price ceiling (it tends to go for around $150). Second, I've used it for the past several months, and I love it. It's super comfortable, it has a good strong low end, but it has an overall balanced sound signature. It also has a massive soundstage, which makes it really fun to listen to in a variety of applications. Regardless of your amping situation, I find it is easily driven by my phone without any amp whatsoever. You definitely could spend a bit more, and possibly do better (within Ultrasone's product line, if not elsewhere), but if you want to keep your budget lower and get something that really does sound fantastic, I would definitely consider the PRO 550.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back