Good SACD source for <1.5K
Aug 18, 2003 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kartik

Headphoneus Supremus
As an alternative to the Sharp SACD player that I am about to buy. Does anyone have any alternative sources in the sub 1500 price range.
Needs to be SACD ( preferably with DSD out)
Needs to have an optical output
Preferably bought new with warranty

Aug 18, 2003 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 17
SONY SCD-222ES
SONY SCD-555ES
PHILIPS 963SA

Buy them new or used and have them modified by sacdmods.com or other and you will have a great player. These are the players I considered before I got my Jolida...

Aug 18, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 17
Keep this in mind: I am pretty sure that so far DSD digital output is proprietary to each manufacturer to increase copy protection. So if you are looking to use your Sharp amp as a DAC it is most likely that it will only accept DSD digital input from the Sharp SACD player.

Aug 18, 2003 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 17
There are very few consumer level SACD players that have DSD output.

I know the dCS Verdi transport has encrypted DSD through firewire (to be used with the dCS Purcell/Elgar Plus). Emmlabs modifies Philips' discontinued SACD-1000s to include encrypted DSD output through ST glass for use with their DACs.

I doubt Sony will ever do it since they make single box players and no DACs. My guess is that Sony will pressure manufacturers not to do it either except in the above very high-end cases.

The encryption seems to be proprietary for each company so mixing and matching doesn't seem to be the goal here.

Sony is concerned that if there is a standardized encryption that it would be easier for hackers to hack the encryption and be able to decrypt the encrypted DSD into a regular DSD signal (for pirating).

The Verdi is $11,000. I'm not sure what Emmlabs charges for the modded SACD-1000 (I know the DAC is like $10,000) but it can't be cheap knowing them. So it typically puts this gear outside of the realm of most would-be hackers/pirates and hacking one company's encryption won't help break the others.

EDIT: Oh and those above mentioned SACD players are decent for your specified budget.

Aug 18, 2003 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 17
Sony 555ES as modified by sacdmods.com. This cost me $1200 total-- $600 for the player (which was $1600 new), and $600 for the mods. If you do a search you can find a very long review from me here on the player. After the mods, it's a fantastic piece.

Mark

Aug 19, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Sony 555ES as modified by sacdmods.com. This cost me $1200 total-- $600 for the player (which was $1600 new), and $600 for the mods. If you do a search you can find a very long review from me here on the player. After the mods, it's a fantastic piece.

Mark

I second Mark's recommendation. I followed his lead and went the exact same way, it sounds superb on SACD and shatteringly good on Redbook.

JC

Aug 19, 2003 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by kartik
As an alternative to the Sharp SACD player that I am about to buy. Does anyone have any alternative sources in the sub 1500 price range.
Needs to be SACD ( preferably with DSD out)
Needs to have an optical output
Preferably bought new with warranty

Unless you opt for some serious mod action, the Marantz SA8260 is the best SACD player available in the sub-$1500 range..lots of opinions about this unit on audio asylum.

- w

Aug 19, 2003 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 17

Keep this in mind: I am pretty sure that so far DSD digital output is proprietary to each manufacturer to increase copy protection. So if you are looking to use your Sharp amp as a DAC it is most likely that it will only accept DSD digital input from the Sharp SACD player.

Not anymore. Pioneer, Sony and Denon have new players
out, or almost out, all of which have firewire dsd outputs, and
each will talk to the other companies new firewire equipped
receivers.

Aug 19, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #10 of 17
Thanks everyone for the input.

Quote:

Originally posted by wasifazim
Unless you opt for some serious mod action, the Marantz SA8260 is the best SACD player available in the sub-$1500 range..lots of opinions about this unit on audio asylum.

- w

I have been looking closely at the SA8260 and probably would buy this. I did n't find a great deal of info on this player here, although there was a ton at audioasylum. Anyone here try out this player ?

Aug 19, 2003 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by kartik
Thanks everyone for the input.

I have been looking closely at the SA8260 and probably would buy this. I did n't find a great deal of info on this player here, although there was a ton at audioasylum. Anyone here try out this player ?

besides me, you mean?
wink.gif
I've had mine for a while now..

- w

Aug 20, 2003 at 12:29 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by kevin gilmore

Not anymore. Pioneer, Sony and Denon have new players
out, or almost out, all of which have firewire dsd outputs, and
each will talk to the other companies new firewire equipped
receivers.

'Receiver' is a dirty word!
wink.gif
I'm waiting for audiophile pre/pros that do SACD/DVDA room correction and bass management, then pass the signal to the amps. Other than the Meridian 861, any of those yet?

Aug 20, 2003 at 1:53 AM Post #14 of 17
depressing! With all the uncertainty over these compatibility issues, I guess I will probably land up buying the Sharp. Now If I could only convince sharp to lower the price, like the amp ($212.50)

Aug 20, 2003 at 4:40 PM Post #15 of 17
I've seen chips on sale (from TI?) that decode that FireWire DSD stream so I think it might be possible for companies to start building external DSD DACs now.

That is actually quite strange because what's to prevent anyone from building a sound card with that chip? Having an universal decoding chip would make encryption totally useless. Perhaps you need to buy a license from Sony in order to get that decoder chip - that is what Dolby and DTS do, effectively making surround equipment market accessible only to medium/large companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back