good recordings of Mary Black
Apr 15, 2014 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

markheadphonium

Head-Fier
I recently discovered the Celtic singer Mary Black. I heard one track, "Columbus," but I don't know what album this comes from. Anyone know? Her voice is unbelievably gorgeous on "Columbus," so I purchased "Mary Black: Collected" from Amazon, and the recording quality is unfortunately low (vicious sibilance for one thing, some of the worst I've heard).

Mark

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 8
The following 3 albums do sound incredible:

The first one includes the title "Columbus"
No Frontiers :
41XX64WM50L._AA160_.jpg

Babes in the wood:
415KPRJZ3PL._AA160_.jpg

Holy ground:
41P7A0SMHSL._AA160_.jpg

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 8
I heard a few of Mary Black's other albums. For instance, "Without the Fanfare"... the problem with that album is that I find the music in bad taste. This is a bit frustrating. Here I find Mary Black who may very well be the finest female vocalist I've ever heard, and she records so much pop and such. Ah well, there's no explaining taste. 
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 8
I don't know "W/o the fanfare" but in general, artists do seldom have the luxury to just do "fine art" if they are working in a niche. Somethings have to pay the rent though...
But I do agree with you, overall I think, almost every recording artist has some odd albums in their repertoire and you ask yourself, mmh what the heck ... ??

May 1, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #6 of 8
Ahh good ole Mary. I'm in the same boat as markheadphonium, talented singer but i just dont care much for the music.  Only song i ever liked was this one

May 1, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 8
This brings back memories for me.

I had 2 Mary Black albums years ago.
First off was Holy Ground, which unsurprisingly was quite spiritual. Some of the tracks were very moving. Liked it a lot.

Then I moved on to Babes in the Wood, which had it's moments and was well received at the time, but to me just sounded too MOR compared to Holy Ground, and I kinda lost interest after that. Moved on to the likes of Tori Amos and about a thousand other female singers.

May 1, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 8
I just got "No Frontiers" from Amazon. I previously heard the track Columbus on that album and was impressed. I just listened to the entire album and unfortunately Columbus may be the only track I like. There seems to be a taste problem. I especially can't stand that "smooth jazz" saxophone that keeps popping up (but is fortunately absent from "Columbus").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back