Good recordings of Handel's Water Music
Jul 27, 2006 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

humanflyz

Headphoneus Supremus
Right now I have the version with Pinnock and the English Orchestra, and I'm wondering if there are better versions of the Water Music out there. Can you guys give me some suggestions on what are, in your opinion, the best recordings of it?

Jul 27, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 10
Pinnock is as good as anyone here. The recording you have is hard to beat.

I enjoy Marriner/ASMF quite a lot for a modern instrument performance, and Harnoncourt/CMW is tremendously kinetic and exciting. Harnoncourt is my personal favorite for the visceral thrill. Any of these three could claim to be "best" imo.

Jul 27, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 10
the academy of ancient music under hogwood. the playing is very energetic and handel's famous long melodies and crescendos are performed perfectly. the royal fireworks is especially exciting on that recording.

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 10
Jordi Savall (Astree/ Naive) comes with a thrilling account of Fireworks Music also. Vibrant, audiophile-grade recorded sound as usual with these performers.

Jul 27, 2006 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 10
Pierre Boulez and the NYPO on Sony Masterworks (or whatever that label is called). Fun, big-band Handel from the mid-70s. Not HIP, but Boulez' precision and intelligence more than make up for that.

Jul 27, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 10
I really prefer HIP versions of this work. For a moderate priced entry, try Naxos recent SACD/Hybrid release by the Aradia Consort which is coupled with the Fireworks Music. The recording is excellent and has received much critical acclaim. Be advised, for some reason Amazon is listing the Aradia Consort as the Arcadia consort. For a truly budget entry (available used from $1 and change) the recording by Jean Malgoire and La Grande Écurie et la Chambre du Roy has been remastered by Sony and is considered a reference for the works.

B000CEVU0I.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1135108887_.jpg
B0000027YJ.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64880910_.jpg

Jul 27, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masolino
Jordi Savall (Astree/ Naive) comes with a thrilling account of Fireworks Music also. Vibrant, audiophile-grade recorded sound as usual with these performers.

that's a good one too. very well recorded. savall chooses an unusual order for the suites, so it has a different flavor.

Jul 27, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
that's a good one too. very well recorded. savall chooses an unusual order for the suites, so it has a different flavor.

Yes, it is a bit odd at first to note that the "overture" no longer starts the album.
eek.gif
But now I often skip water music and go strightly for Handel's orchestral fireworks anyway when listening to the album. Who would have thought that three trumpets and three horns can make such a big noise...
lambda.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 10
Completely second Bunny's recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back