good recordings of Alison Krauss
Apr 17, 2014 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

markheadphonium

Head-Fier
I have the 2 CD set "Alison Krauss and Union Station Live." Her voice is gorgeous on this recording. I recently sampled a few other Alison Krauss albums via download and her studio recordings are missing so much of the beauty. Does anyone know if there is another album by Krauss/Union Station that approaches the sound quality of the Live album?

Mark

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 11
I have the SACDs of Live and New Favorite and both are phenomenal. I assume the 2 other SACDs are as good but I haven't found them for a price I'm willing to pay.

I've never really had any complaints with any of the CDs except for the album with Robert Plant. I have them all and while the later ones are a little loud they still sound good IMO. The early albums sound great and have little to no compression. Her voice does sound different since she was so young when these were recorded. I'm not much of a religious person but I love the album she recorded with the Cox Family. The only one I have a problem with her voice is Too Late to Cry but that was recorded when she was 16.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 11
Fascinating, I'll have to look into New Favorite. Sorry, I actually know very little about what she's recorded, and my downloads are on my other computer so I can't check the titles and albums, so I can't remember the titles/albums of what I tried. I should probably research her discography. 

The dynamics, especially the microdynamics, of "Live" are really great. All those nuances of loud/soft in her voice are clearly audible.

Mark

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 11
Alison Krauss' "Forget About It".
Phenomenal recording, great music, too.

May 1, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #7 of 11
Alas,
The Alison Krauss album I am most familiar with is the "Raising Sand" album! :)

However, I'm going to have to dig out my MFSL vinyl copy of "So Long, So Wrong" and give it another listen!

May 8, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 11
  I have the 2 CD set "Alison Krauss and Union Station Live." Her voice is gorgeous on this recording. I recently sampled a few other Alison Krauss albums via download and her studio recordings are missing so much of the beauty. Does anyone know if there is another album by Krauss/Union Station that approaches the sound quality of the Live album?

Mark

I have this one  (and New Favorite) on SACD and I agree for a live recording it's un-believably good.  

May 9, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #9 of 11
Alas,
The Alison Krauss album I am most familiar with is the "Raising Sand" album! :)

However, I'm going to have to dig out my MFSL vinyl copy of "So Long, So Wrong" and give it another listen!

Just gave "So Long, So wrong" a spin last night.
It sounds phenomenal! A very pure natural recording, sweet!

May 14, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #10 of 11
Alas,
The Alison Krauss album I am most familiar with is the "Raising Sand" album!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've got the live Union Station album, Paper Airplane and Raising Sand.

Of these, Raising Sand is the poorest sound quality (still ok though) but by far my favourite. Somehow, her voice comes across even lovelier than usual when she shares the stage with Robert Plant. It's one of those unique combinations that shouldn't work, but does. However, it takes a well balanced system to shine through the deliberately heavy handed production.

May 23, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #11 of 11
Just gave "So Long, So wrong" a spin last night.
It sounds phenomenal! A very pure natural recording, sweet!

No!
I was wrong!
It sounds better than phenomenal! :D
What a detailed, natural, articulate recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back