GOOD Rap?
Aug 9, 2004 at 12:26 PM Post #31 of 56
You mean there are people out there who think Linkin Park are hip-hop?
confused.gif

And add another vote for Jurassic 5. Both Quality Control and Power In Numbers are fantastic albums.

Aug 9, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #32 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88
You mean there are people out there who think Linkin Park are hip-hop?
confused.gif

haha, yeah in hong kong people do, some wannabes....
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #33 of 56
for good rap or hip hop you gotta look at all the underground guys that are really producing great cds, I suggest anyone off of Definitive Jux but my personal favourites are RJD2' ( The DeadRinger Album not CD Album) Aesop rock, and vast Aire otherwise known as Cannibal Ox, some other good rap to check out is Atmosphere aka slug, and an interesting cd made of Del the Funky Homosapien and Dan the automater entitled , Deltron 3030. this is my input.

- MajjacK

Aug 10, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #35 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by bnwug
haha, yeah in hong kong people do, some wannabes....
biggrin.gif

agreed, and they think punk = avril lavigne and good charlotte...
thank goodness no one in hk cares about metal.

Aug 11, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by quke
About Eminem, he is a very skilled rapper and lyricist. I understand that some may be put off by his aggressive lyrics but listening through The Marshall Mathers LP I think nobody can deny he's very talented in what he does.

I'd have to agree, technically, Eminem is a VERY tallented rapper. A lot of people take issue with his lyrics, but he is very witty in the way he puts lyrics together and he understands rap very well. He can change his style according to the mood of the song better than any rapper I've ever heard.

Aug 12, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #41 of 56
[size=medium]KOREAN PRIDE[/size]
I'm not even korean... eh, who cares.

You could find Korean Rap absolutely awesome.. or just plain annoying. Depends on your style.

I always thought that hip hop was something that you could dance to...
And I always figured Linkin Park was rock... but hip hop? I don't know... people in Hong Kong are wak.

Aug 13, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #42 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sczervok
[size=medium]KOREAN PRIDE[/size]
I always thought that hip hop was something that you could dance to...

I wouldn't group hip-hop with dance music.

Aug 13, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #43 of 56
I personally have never been able to get into that whole Native Tongues/old-school worship thing. J5, Talib, Mos, Tribe, De La, Digable Planets... those all bore me to tears. To me, they're the hip-hop equivalent of 70's album rock. Just very medium, very plain, very safe music. It's no wonder that the whole Native Tongues sound has been embraced by so many white fans who don't like any other hip-hop.

And I absolutely hate Anticon. They are some of the most self-righteous, stuck-up musicians around, and their music reflects it. They released an album called "Music For The Advancement Of Hip-Hop." Gimmie a frickin' break! They're like the hip-hop version of Tortoise, but with half the talent and at least 10 times the arrogance.

My favorite hip-hop albums of the 2000's have been Jay-Z - The Black Album, Madvillain - Madvillainy, Ghostface - The Pretty Toney Album, El-P - Fantastic Damage and Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher. Other good ones include RJD2 - Since We Last Spoke, Kanye West - The College Dropout, The Non-Prophets - Hope, Viktor Vaughn - Vaudeville Villain, and a few other Def Jux releases. But really, hip-hop has always been more of a singles-oriented scene. If you have the patience to listen to the type of hip-hop that gets played on MTV and major radio stations, you WILL find truly great songs scattered about. I'm not talking about great songs in a Rakim/Nas sense, but truly great pop songs.

And as for the hip-hop/rap debate, "hip-hop" is the genre and "rapping" is just a vocal technique. I consider the term "rap music" to be just as meaningless as the term "sing music."

Aug 14, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #44 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Factor
Madvillain - Madvillainy, El-P - Fantastic Damage, The Non-Prophets - Hope, Viktor Vaughn - Vaudeville Villain

All of these are in that category of messily produced non-catchy rap that I can't really tolerate. I gave El-P a large number of chances to grow on me and it just didn't happen. I am indeed one of those white people for whom J5, Blackalicious, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, etc are the only rap that I really like. For me though it's also the production value and "catchiness". I guess it's just immaturity in the area of rap since I don't require any other genre to be catchy to enjoy it.

Aug 14, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny12
whats something similar to gorillaz

As far as for the vocals, check out Del tha Funky Homosapien, Deltron 3030, and Hieroglyphics, the 2 that aren't Hiero are the same guy from Gorillaz, Hiero is him and his crew.

Aesop Rock is great...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back