GOOD Rap?
Jul 31, 2004 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

tennisets

1000+ Head-Fier
I took a marine biology class this summer at the University of Miami. Prior to this time, I had never liked rap, period. But, since my roommate was from Miami, he brought a stereo. Guess what radio stations he listens to? Yep, rap. By the end of the time I was there, I actually LIKED rap! So, any suggestions for good rap CDs? I'm talking about interesting, reasonable stuff, not s**t like Eminem or anything. For example, I really like Speakerboxx/The Love Below by Outkast. Thanks for suggestions!

Jul 31, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 56
I'm a big fan of sage francis, check out his solo work "personal journals", and his collaborative album with joe beats (under the monkier non-prophets) called hope.

There's lots of great rap in the world, it's a shame that most head-fiers refuse to expose themselves to it

Jul 31, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 56
FUGEES "The Score"

Jul 31, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 56
I really like the style of The Streets (hope they're considered "rap/hiphop"). It's very refreshing and though it's all very simple, it just works. I just hope they keep evolving their style to avoid it getting repetitive.

"Original Pirate Material", and "A Grand Don't Come for Free" are their best known works. I like the former more, but the latter got better reviews, partly because of the originality of threading one story through the whole album.

I'm very fond of rap that works in other languages (or accents as it would be here), because it seems a lot harder. So another vote would be for the Cuban group Orishas. Great stuff

Aug 1, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 56
I second FUGEES "The Score" + Lauryn Hill's "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill"

Aug 1, 2004 at 8:00 AM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by lojay
I second FUGEES "The Score" + Lauryn Hill's "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill"

Ditto.

As for other albums...

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
The Beatnuts - The Beatnuts
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
De La Soul - De La Soul is Dead
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
Dilated Peoples - Expansion Team
Eminem - Infinite
Freestyle Fellowship - Inner City Griots
Gangstarr - Daily Operation
Gorillaz - Gorillaz
Jurassic 5 - Quality Control
Lyrics Born - Later that Day...
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Main Source - Breaking Atoms
Mos Def and Talib Kweli - Black Star
Nas - Illmatic
Outkast - ATLiens
Outkast - Southernplayalisticadillacmusic
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
Souls of Mischief - '93 til Infinity
Zion I - Mind Over Matter

Aug 1, 2004 at 10:44 AM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean
The Roots
Talib Kweli
Jurassic 5

I like every album they have put out.

Amen. My three absolute favorites also
biggrin.gif

If you want something like OutKast I recommend trying Cee-lo's Cee-Lo Green... Is the Soul Machine. Of course OutKast's earlier works are a must also. Especially Stankonia but the rest are also right up on the par with the last album.

About Eminem, he is a very skilled rapper and lyricist. I understand that some may be put off by his aggressive lyrics but listening through The Marshall Mathers LP I think nobody can deny he's very talented in what he does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back