Good Qaulity Sounding Portable CD Player
Jan 13, 2003 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TopDog

New Head-Fier
I have a Panasonic right now, and its on its last leg. It's starting to make a bad vibrating sound. But here it is, Im getting a new pair of Sony V6's with in the next 2 weeks, and I want a new cd player that has good sound quality, and I want one that has good battery life, and where the button are easy to use and find in dark with out a light on. I like the iRivers one particularly the slimx 400, but Im not sure about the little display. So can you guys give me recomendations on this.

Thanks
Matt the Newbie

Jan 14, 2003 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 14
I have the iMP-400 and the buttons are easy enough to use. The display lights on when you press a button, so you can see what you're doing. You can customize how long it stays on for after you press something. It's a very nice remote really. Great sound quality too. Not the longest battery life, not sure the specs, but it uses rechargeables so you just have to remember to recharge it every once in awhile. I'm used to using AAs and the long battery life of my old Panasonic PCDP so it takes a little getting used to. Otherwise, this little unit might be what you're looking for. Oh, it comes with an extra...thing...not sure what to call it...but it lets you use AAs as well for extra portable reliability in case the rechargeables die.

Jan 14, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 14
I think one of the reasons why no one answered is because panasonic and sony do not make good quality pcdp anymore. The trend is to extend battery life, cram mp3 support, and in some cases cut corners and cost by removing the output jack.

Jan 15, 2003 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 14
Sounds like a Sony D-CJO1 to me.... I love mine. Big buttons, big display, line out, sleek, and great sound quality. It's discontinued, so if you want one get yours while they're still available. Do a search in the head-fi portables forum and check out the Sony web site to find out more.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by TopDog
I want a new cd player that has good sound quality, and I want one that has good battery life, and where the button are easy to use and find in dark with out a light on.

Jan 15, 2003 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by TopDog
Man 75 views and not one reply, maybe Im asking a stupid or far-fetched question. Please tell me if I am

Actually I'm sending mine back this week. The battery life in the rechargeables are just not adequate to suit my purposes. Not sure but I think you will be lucky to get 8 - 10hrs of play time with the rechargeables depending on how you use your slimx which may be more than enough for some folks, not me. At the moment, I'm only getting 4-5 without the adapter. Go check iRiver.com and do a search on "batteries" in the user forum. The functionality on this machine is awesome but it just drains the batts too quick, imo. Although, knowing me, for whatever reasons, I 'll probably regret sending it back..

good luck

Jan 15, 2003 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 14
Yes, that's my only complaint with it. I was surprised how fast they died the first time...sort of disappointed. But otherwise it works great...

If you're going to be using this portably a lot, you might want to look elsewhere.

Jan 15, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 14
Top3 portable cd players ranked by cd playback quality by Stereoplay magazine (GER):

1. SonicBlue SP 250
2. Sojny DC J 01
3. IRiver SlimX

A similar list from Audio magazine (GER):

Grundig CDP 9100
Sonic Blue Rio Volt
Sony DC J 01

All with very similar performance (below mediocre cd player when compared to a rack cd playback).

I don't have reviews on later models, sorry.

regards,
Halcyon

Jan 16, 2003 at 12:53 AM Post #10 of 14
The D-CJ01 was consumer reports' top-rated CD / MP3 player, and they rated the sound quality as excellent. The Sonic Blue Rio Volt SP90 was rated very good for sound quality, and the Sonic Blue Rio Volt SP250 was rated good for sound quality. The ratings were based mainly on sound quality and both Sonic Blues rated below the Philipps and Panasonic models.

This was in the September 2002 issue.

I know consumer reports can be goofy, just check their most recent headphone ratings.

The Rio Volts and SlimX look awesome (I certainly would be thrilled to have one!) but I was more interested in a big display, normal AA batteries, simplicity, etc, so I got the D-CJO1.

Hope this helps.
cool.gif

Jan 16, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 14
Alot of people here really like the slimx. I have one and it sounds great. I don't have anything to compare it with though
frown.gif
I use mine unamped with my ER-6s(sounds great) and my MX500s(sounds great too)
smily_headphones1.gif
And for the 400s display, it's probally better then the one on my 350 and this one is pretty awsome... gotta love having the snake game too
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back