Good Primers for Hi Fidelity learning
Jan 7, 2003 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

revan

100+ Head-Fier
I'm asking for links to primers that can explain what a good system set up looks like, what a DAC is, differences between formats, required components, that kind of stuff. Basically newbie to hifi learning links.

R-

Jan 7, 2003 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 13
www.stereophile.com is the link to Stereophile magazine, which I keep coming back to as the best of the hi-fi rags

www.audioasylum.com and www.hifiheaven remain favorites

If you are interested in books, you might try

The Complete Guide to High-End Audio, Second Edition by Robert Harley

Jan 8, 2003 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Zanth pointed me at this article and I like it a lot as a "primer" for audio:
http://www.high-endaudio.com/magaz.html

Hogwash..sourgrapes...propaganda...dumb-ass bull-sh@t...

You'll have to remember that we have our "resident experts" here at Head-Fi... (not only in regard to Hi-Fi, but on most any subject you inquire about)!

Take it for what it's worth, revan.

wink.gif

Jan 8, 2003 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Hogwash..sourgrapes...propaganda...dumb-ass bull-sh@t...

i wonder which side is really the propaganda.

Jan 8, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 13
Hmm, indeed. RickG, what is hogwash? The fact that much of hi-fi is complete marketting meant to steal the last penny from mindless obsessive-compulsives?

Indeed...I had no problems with the article. In fact, it made such perfect sense. I don't have Arthur's experience, nor do I read the mags he referred to...but the logic was there. Heh...I just reread the cable section of that article for fun. If you think THAT is hogwash, I really do have to wonder what side of the fence you are on.

Jan 8, 2003 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 13
That article IS hogwash, replete with incorrect statements like "Virtually every cable company you have ever heard of (or ever will hear of) does NOT make its own cables." ... just off the top of my head, I can think of three companies that do make their own cables: Tara Labs, Cardas and JPS Labs; "For further protection, they will not even compare any of the (now rare) reasonably priced cables to any of the high-priced models, unless they already know that they are inferior "...I've seen plenty of reviews of reasonably-priced cables that compare them favourably with pricier ones.

- Wasif

Jan 8, 2003 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 13
Ironic that you mention some of the top brass....he did say virtually. If you look around his site, he recommends some high-end cables including Cardas and Coincident. Few companies actually do make their own. Cardas is one of them, Tara, Kimber are others.

The reviews he is speaking about are akin to big mags comparing something from DIY to say Tara Zero's. That does not happen.

Also, saying the entire article is hogwash because you disagree with certain poinst is not only asinine but ignorant as well.

But whatever, to each his own.

Jan 8, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
Also, saying the entire article is hogwash because you disagree with certain poinst is not only asinine but ignorant as well.

No more asinine or ignorant then praising/endorsing an article full of obvious bios and then recommending this hodge podge of mediocrity to a member seeking credible sources for hi-fi knowledge. However, I'll refrain from getting into a name calling battle with you, Zanth.

Like you say, "to each his own".

tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2003 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 13
For what it's worth (not much I gather), when Zanth pointed me at the article I thought it well written and well presented even if a bit pointed.

I don't know anything about the author other than that article so I don't know if he has reason for "bias."

I do think some of his points are valid regardless of his slant and I think the kind of skepticism this insight provides is the best kind of warning and introduction someone freshly entering this hobby could receive.

Jan 8, 2003 at 11:35 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by revan
Thank you guys - but as RickG alluded to I'm still looking for sources. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate all feedback across the spectrum.

R-

revan
Do take a look at the article I linked--toward the bottom, the author gives his take on several publications, some of which he seems to like a lot. I plan on checking out some of the stuff he has listed.

Meanwhile, also visit www.audioasylum.com . In addition to being the leading forum, they have a number of really good FAQs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back