Good Price for CK10's
Sep 23, 2010 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ovrclkd

100+ Head-Fier
Quick question ...... What is a fair price to pay for a barely used set of ATH - CK10's in original packaging?

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 12
My rule of thumb would be 3/4 of the lowest retail price you can find for a new set which comes out to around $195 but considering they've been discontinued and are now basically a collector's item... who knows.

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
My rule of thumb would be 3/4 of the lowest retail price you can find for a new set which comes out to around $195 but considering they've been discontinued and are now basically a collector's item... who knows.

Thanks for the reply, you made a good point they are very hard to find ... maybe I'll hang onto them.

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 12
haha.  i was going to say they're a collector's item now (but joker beat me to it
tongue.gif
), so they're worth at least twice retail.  or to some, (like me) they're priceless.  they have a unique sound signature that not many other companies make, their construction is flawless and the wire is the best for any iem.

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 12
Less than a year ago, they could be had new for about $190 (assuming the store actually had any in stock).  Available pricing rose to around $230 or so, but now being discontinued prices will be higher, for example in the high $200s right now on eBay.  Used is always less and earphones do not hold value well relative to retail.

I don't know if I'd call them a collectors item as Audio Technica hasn't specifically discontinued them.  Rather they are like the CK100, simply not sold in the US anymore.  It might be better to say that you just need to find some place you can import through.

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 12
I don't think anyone would pay 2x retail for these even if there was no more stock unless they were stupid or incredibly desperate for some reason. At $200 they were a good purchase and one of my favorite universals and I wouldn't pay too much over $250 for these new.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know if I'd call them a collectors item as Audio Technica hasn't specifically discontinued them.  Rather they are like the CK100, simply not sold in the US anymore.  It might be better to say that you just need to find some place you can import through.

Yeah I thought this too but I sent them an email and they said that the lineup is undergoing streamlining, whatever the heck that means. I suppose there's a chance that the CK10 will be dropped altogether, even in Japan. I just hope they don't think that the CK90Pro is a worthy stand-in.

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #8 of 12
Well until they actually do something with it, the CK10 is still there.  The CK10 and CK90Pro are not comparable in my eyes.  They simply aren't geared the same and neither can really substitute the other.

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
The CK10 and CK90Pro are not comparable in my eyes.  They simply aren't geared the same and neither can really substitute the other.

Yeah, my point exactly, which is why the term 'streamlining' worries me slightly. Usually that means model lines get condensed. I guess time will tell, though we'll probably hear the news last here in the US.

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #10 of 12
well, i was joking about 2x retail, but if AT release a new IEM that's not up to par, then i think there's little doubt that the resale value of ck10s will stay the same or even increase a little.  like you're buying something that's not around anymore, and is better than the newer product.  think baby orpheus for a much more exaggerated example.

Sep 25, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 12
After listening to my newest addition being the UM3X I popped the CK10's in for a comparison of obvious differences in sound sig's and I'm going to have a very hard time letting go of these. My one single most complaint with them for me has always been fitment but once they seal they are outstanding. mmmmm ... time to reply to a few PM's .....

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back