Good powered speakers to replace M-Audio BX5 DIIs?
Mar 25, 2019 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Captain Needa

New Head-Fier
Good powered speakers for classical, jazz, etc.

Hi there all,

For the last few years, until they got wrecked, I had a pair of M-Audio BX5 DII studio monitors hooked up to my PC. I was pretty happy with them, except sometimes the highs could be a little harsh. Right now I’m wondering what I should replace them with.

I mostly listen to acoustic music - classical, jazz, traditional folk and ethnic music, and so forth. I also listen to classic rock and progressive rock.

I’d like something roughly similar to those M-Audios - detailed, accurate, reasonably flat frequency response (I’m not a purist about it, though). I’m wondering if I should get another pair of M-Audios, or something else?
One of the other speakers I thought of getting before was the Audioengines - are those still worth looking at?

Although I liked the M-Audios, the drawbacks were the occasionally harsh highs, having to be in a certain position for optimum sound quality, and also they tended to get rather hot which made me wonder about their longevity (although that’s not what killed them). The bass was quite adequate for my purposes.

My price range is up to $500, maybe more if there’s a good reason.

Mar 26, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 10
Hi @Captain Needa,

Nice speakers you have, before they got wrecked which is depressing in itself...

Anyway, I would suggest the following in no particular order :

Genelec 8010 (I own these & use them everyday)
Kali Audio LP 8 (Have not heard these yet in real life as they are not yet available where I am but by all accounts, subjectively very good value so I would definitely suggest a demo)

Either would fit nicely into your budget, aside from a demo, I would suggest getting either from a pro audio place near you for a good deal.

Feel free to ask me more if necessary.

Hope you have a great day !

Mar 26, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 10
For the last few years, until they got wrecked, I had a pair of M-Audio BX5 DII studio monitors hooked up to my PC. I was pretty happy with them, except sometimes the highs could be a little harsh. Right now I’m wondering what I should replace them with.

I mostly listen to acoustic music - classical, jazz, traditional folk and ethnic music, and so forth. I also listen to classic rock and progressive rock.

I’d like something roughly similar to those M-Audios - detailed, accurate, reasonably flat frequency response (I’m not a purist about it, though). I’m wondering if I should get another pair of M-Audios, or something else?
---
Although I liked the M-Audios, the drawbacks were the occasionally harsh highs, having to be in a certain position for optimum sound quality, and also they tended to get rather hot which made me wonder about their longevity (although that’s not what killed them). The bass was quite adequate for my purposes.

Maybe the KRK Rokit 6. Default tweeter amp gain will be softer with the highs than your M-Audio but there's more low end, so in case it's too soft, put the tweeters at +1dB.

One caveat though - as much as there's a fair bit more low end punch it isn't as resolving as the LSR305, so if you need it for monitoring, get the JBL and then just set the tweeter amps' gain lower if it's too sharp.

One of the other speakers I thought of getting before was the Audioengines - are those still worth looking at?

Unless I can't use a separate preamp for unity gain I wouldn't use those.

And even if I need an asymmetrical active speaker I'd probably get the HiVi M200 Mk xx (whatever revision it's at now).

Mar 26, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 10
Hello,

Give the Yamaha hs7 a try, they are good sounding speakers and also have handy room control/trim switches and xlr inputs. The Genelecs 8010/8020 mentioned above are also great but don't have so much bass.

Gabi

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #5 of 10
Hello,

Give the Yamaha hs7 a try, they are good sounding speakers and also have handy room control/trim switches and xlr inputs. The Genelecs 8010/8020 mentioned above are also great but don't have so much bass.

Gabi

@kocean,

Hs7 has minior issues in the highs which @Captain Needa doesn't like.

There is not much difference in sound quality between 8010 & 8020 though throw distance is a little farther on the 8020 so unless @Captain Needa needs to be more than 2 m from their speakers, 8010 is more than good.

From their initial post, @Captain Needa doesn't really need much bass either & as 8010 has good bass in low end to mid but not deep or sub bass, that meets their requirements for that detailed, accurate, reasonably flat frequency response.
If more sub bass is needed, that is what subs are for.

Hope everyone has a great day !

Apr 1, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 10
Good powered speakers for classical, jazz, etc.

Hi there all,

My price range is up to $500, maybe more if there’s a good reason.

Monoprice 5" studio monitors, basically a relabeled M-Audio BX (A or DII version?)
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=310&cp_id=31005&cs_id=3100501&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2
add a Monoprice 10" subwoofer
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605999

What are you using for a DAC function (motherboard built in sound card?)?

Apr 1, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 10
@PaganDL, good point, must've missed some details, the hs7 are still in a different league compared to the MA. Genelec are incredible for their size though, if bass wasn't an issue I would choose the Genelecs as well :)

@kocean,

Just curious, how much bass do you need?

I take accuracy & detail over sub bass & I have three good subs.

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #9 of 10
@PaganDL, I'm definitelly not a bass head, I'd rather have good 45hz then forced and muffled 35hz, but if you're over 60hz you might miss some stuff depending on what music you listen too. I now switched to a pair of old polk audio monitor series 7 and they have just the right amount. But of course you can't compare those to 2-way studio monitors, they are different animals alltogether.

Apr 4, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #10 of 10
@PaganDL, I'm definitelly not a bass head, I'd rather have good 45hz then forced and muffled 35hz, but if you're over 60hz you might miss some stuff depending on what music you listen too. I now switched to a pair of old polk audio monitor series 7 and they have just the right amount. But of course you can't compare those to 2-way studio monitors, they are different animals alltogether.

Very true & well said, @kocean.

Good to know you're not a bass head which I didn't think you were or infer you were either.
In general terms, it is common for people to misunderstand the following :

Good Bass Response VS Sub Bass Response
Or
Professional Bass Response VS Consumer Bass Response

Personally & subjectively, regardless of how low in the bass something goes, 45 hz is a good cut off as you say though I have found it all depends on the speaker tuning.
As even if whatever you listen to might have that info, if the implementation in the speaker can't carry it, it will miss it anyway.

So as said before, use whatever you think works best.
After all, only you will know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back