Good portables...7509HD... or what?
Jul 11, 2009 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

lejaz

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm searching for a good, unhyped/neutral/accurate sounding hp that can be driven by an iPod/sansa clip. I usually use the akg k240DF for my home studio work, but they need a good amp(they're 600 ohms). The Sony mdr-7509's can be driven by an iPod FWIR. Also, which is preferred, the 7509 or 7509HD? I've read mixed opinions on which is better. I used to use the mdr-V6/7506 with my Sansa clip, but I read that the 7509 is a significant step up and is not as harsh in the upper mids/treble. Any other suggestions for a good hp that can be driven by an iPod or Sansa clip? I definitely don't like in ear phones. Thanks

Jul 11, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 17
No suggestions for good hp's that can be driven by iPod? What about Fostex T50RP? I don't think they fold, but they are low impedance, FWIR.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 17
What's your budget? For ~$300 I would recommend a recabled Sennheiser HD25-1. They are small and light headphones with great isolation and can be driven fairly well by decent portables like the Sansa Clip. Their frequency response is also quite neutral since they were designed with monitoring in mind. The problem with stock HD25-1s is that the steel cable that they come with is really not that great and makes them sound somewhat metallic in the treble, lacking smoothness in its tonality, as well as somewhat shallow and flabby in the bass. Thus, the stock cable should be upgraded with a quality copper one designed with HD-25-1s in mind to get the most out of these headphones. I tried the stock Senn HD650 cable on them which is considered by many a good low-cost upgrade to the stock cable, but found that, to my ears, it actually degrades the sound of HD-25s more than it improves it. I would recommend that you get a Headphile V2 cable for them which is around $100-$200 US depending on what length and type you want and is perhaps the cheapest cable designed specifically for HD25s. From what I read, a high quality copper cable like the V2 will make the sound a lot smoother, will add more depth and tightness to the bass and will also improve soundstage.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 17
Oops...my mistake, I should have mentioned under $200 USD. I was considering the stock hd25 but I thought the 7509 might be better judging by the few reviews I've been able to find. Let us know how your other hps compare to your GMP 8.35 when you get them. Are the GMP hp's easily driven? I might be interested, but I'd have to buy a used set as they're most likely well outside my budget.

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 17
Thanks for the heads up, sunneebear. They're quite a bit over my budget, especially with the shipping(from Japan), but from the reviews I've seen, perhaps I shouldn't rule them out.

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #8 of 17
I got the 7509HD's a few days back. I've been giving them the opportunity to burn in and have gone over 100hrs with them. I was hoping that this would have helped.

The comfort, mids, highs and soundstage have all been improved over the 7506's, but by golly, they've neutered the base response. Some do say that the base response of the 7506 is too much, but I think they overcompensated big time with the 7506HD. The base is compromised with loss of body and depth to it. With a better base response, these cans would have been great.

I can't believe Sony did this, and they are twice the cost of the 7506's. I've given up in disgust and am back to the 7506's. I don't know if there's anyone who would wish to have the 7509HD's.
ph34r.gif

OTOH, these MDR7506's are a surprising bang for the buck.

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the 7509HD's a few days back. I've been giving them the opportunity to burn in and have gone over 100hrs with them. I was hoping that this would have helped.

The comfort, mids, highs and soundstage have all been improved over the 7506's, but by golly, they've neutered the base response. Some do say that the base response of the 7506 is too much, but I think they overcompensated big time with the 7506HD. The base is compromised with loss of body and depth to it. With a better base response, these cans would have been great.

I can't believe Sony did this, and they are twice the cost of the 7506's. I've given up in disgust and am back to the 7506's. I don't know if there's anyone who would wish to have the 7509HD's.
ph34r.gif

I've read similar in regards to the bass of the 7509HD...don't know if the 'non-HD' model is the same. How is the treble on them? BTW, the 7506 are not bass heavy as far as I'm concerned...but they have a dip around 200hz and are harsh in the high mids. I tried mixing with them and the results were far from satisfactory. It's a purely matter of subjective taste, but for casual listening I prefer the AKG sound sig.

Jul 14, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read similar in regards to the bass of the 7509HD...don't know if the 'non-HD' model is the same. How is the treble on them? BTW, the 7506 are not bass heavy as far as I'm concerned...but they have a dip around 200hz and are harsh in the high mids. I tried mixing with them and the results were far from satisfactory. It's a purely matter of subjective taste, but for casual listening I prefer the AKG sound sig.

The treble is for me, their strong point. Nicely extended.

The mids are prominent, but again, I have a problem in that it's too forward for my tastes.

All in all, I'm quite disappointed.

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #13 of 17
I don't know why, but I've heard that some people prefer the 'non-HD' version of the 7509. But, that one is somewhat light in the bass too, FWIR. I think the original non-HD 7509 was mentioned in the Sound on Sound article on 'mixing with headphones' as a closed phone that is accurate enough to mix with. Non-closed phones mentioned were the 600HD and the k701, I think.

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ph34r.gif

I have to agree about the 7506's/mdr-v6's. I've been taking mine out with me a lot to listen on my Sansa clip and I'm finding them pretty darn close to the sound of my monitor speakers. The speakers are better in some areas, but the frequency balance is pretty close on the v-6's. I'm liking the bass quite a lot too, even though it can sound a little flabby compared to my RP21's. But as you write they're 'good bang for the buck', and they fold up real nicely to take in a back pack. I was considering the Fostex T50RP since it's fairly low impedance, but it doesn't fold as far as I know. The cd900st's are a little over my budget and don't fold. The new Shure's sound real promising, but are also a little pricey for a portable....at least for MY wallet. So, I'm left with the 7509's(second hand...and weak bass?) or the 7506's it seems, if I want a good portable that will 'tell the truth' about my mixes for when I'm listening on my portable. Anyone know any others I've overlooked that are under $150 and are very accurate/neutral in their frequency response?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back