Good portable tube x-can amp ?
Apr 8, 2005 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gonglee

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a good sounding portable tube headphone amp - is there a such animal? I would prefer class A. If not tube, then even SS. If you know of one, please show me the link - either DIY or for sale already made.

Thanks in advance,

James

We all know about upsampling to 196kh or higher on a computer - that really smooths the sound! There are many software that will do that. EAC is a free program that does similar thing - uncompresses mp3 files. Google search for programs that will upsample. Also there are cd players that do the same.

Apr 8, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 5
You could theoretically power the Peter Millet tube amp off of batteries. It only takes 24v or so... thats easy to get with only 3x9v (27v)... It can probably even run off of 2x9v (18v). Tubes at low voltage tend to be a bit of current hogs... so you may not get much time off of that setup though. Another option would be to step the voltage up somehow but personally I think that is more trouble than it is worth.

Apr 8, 2005 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 5
but imagine the braging rights. An amp sooo hot that it quite literally burns through your shirt
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 5
Garbz, I beg to differ! My amp is "hotter."
tongue.gif

Anyways, X-Can can be driven from a battery pack. I believe X-Can's PSU is 24V or 12V. (around there) Just get the voltage. I think the amp module operate at 100-120V B+. Given the amp use like 10-20mA (and the opamp in there uses much smaller current), then you need 50-100mA. I think you can do this with 1-5Ah batteries. ... Whatcha think?

Tomo

P.S. Personally, I like Silicon better. I used to work with 'em and I am inseparateably attached. ...
3000smile.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
but imagine the braging rights. An amp sooo hot that it quite literally burns through your shirt
wink.gif

lol. You're right. Nothing live having 100+ volts right over your heart.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back