Good Portable source for my MS-1
Oct 18, 2005 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

HeadLamp

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I have ordered an MS-1 which I am expecting to arrive in another 15 days.
Now I am looking for a good portable source. Currently I just have a $40 sony portable cdp but its not up to the mark. I have checked out Sony portables upto $120 (NE-900) but none of them seems to give me that audiophile grade sound which I am looking for or rather an MS-1 deserves. I checked out the Bose Triport setup, the headphone was average but the Bose portable player was very good, much better than a $120 sony. But sadly Bose doesn't sell their player seperately, its a package with the triport headphone (another one of their fatiguing marketing gimmicks). Now I need your help guys, help me in finding a good portable source, preferably a CDP. I am not very enthusiastic about mp3 players because I have noticed a lot of loss in music when converted from CD to mp3. The losses being mostly in the extreme frequencies. I know there are some better methods of conversion which would minimise the losses but still I dont want to compromise.

So basically my first prefrence is a good portable cdp. Again I am not going for an amp in the recent future. My budget would be around $200.
Kindly suggest a good detailed sounding portable source for my MS-1.

I listen to all kinds of music except Jazz and Classical. I love quality midrangs and deep accurate bass.

Oct 18, 2005 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 10
You may still prefer a PCDP, but keep in mind you don't have to use MP3s on a 'MP3' player. Besides new lossy codecs like AAC and Ogg Vorbis, if you want 'true CD quality' there are many that support lossless (no information is thrown away) compression (FLAC, Apple Lossless) or uncompressed (WAV, AIFF). There is no compromise with either of these options. Your files will sound exactly (not just perceptually) the same as CDs. So then it's back to the hardware and which equipment you prefer/produces the best sound.

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 10
ok....I dont completely overrule the possibilities of a good lossless player. I am open that way. Its only that I believe that a good cdp is definitely one of the best sources. So atleast you guys got give me a good solution in both these areas, PCDP as well as Portable lossless players (Ipods, mp3 etc). Now shoot at will guys.....

I am almost dependent on you guys' suggestions as I dont have many options here in India so I have to get it from US (if required).

Cmon guys...help me out.

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 10
unfortunately modern pcdps are generally very low quality compared to older pcdps and modern daps. What's your price range, are you going to be using an amp, what kind of file browsing do you like? Do you like itunes?

Oct 18, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 10
What are daps btw ????
My budget is around $200 but I am looking for a value for money stuff.
As far as browsing is concerned....I dont have much idea on the types available around as I havent used an ipod yet. But my preference for the selection of the player would be dictated 95% by the sound quality and only 5% on other factors.
btw I have read some good reviews about iRiver pcdp, how are they when compared to Sony kind of stuffs ?? (I dont like Sony...thats my conclusion after listening to some good Sony Discmans, latest ones).

I am not looking for amping, atleast not in near future....the headphone would be driven straight out of the portable player.

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 10
I would suggest listening to your new MS-1 on your current PDCP for the first month. After that, consider upgrading your source or get a portable amp. Does your player have a line/digital/optical-out? If it does, a portable DAC may also be a consideration.

Sorry about the wallet
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLamp
What are daps btw ????

Digital Audio Player. Technically I guess this could be a CDP as the files are digital, but it's usually referring to hard disk or flash based players.

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 10
I agree, listen to what you have, decide what you like and dont like about it, its much easier to decide what you want from there

Oct 19, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #9 of 10
ACtually I did compare my current source (a cheap sony pcdp) with better models of Sony and found that my current player is no match and kind of just a cheap gadget. So I immediately knew that I got upgrade my source. There is no digital/line/optical out on my pcdp, it has just a headphone out. Its not even a mediocre player to say the least, but since it was a gift so I dont have anything to complain.
cool.gif

Now coming to the source, first of all I am not planning to amp my setup as of now. I may do it later in future (not near future) but not sooner for sure. So I want a good source basically. A source which can drive my MS-1 decently and give me a good detailed sound quality.

As I said I didnt like Sony (D-NE900), I did like Bose though.
Now please suggest me accordingly. As far as DAPS are concerned, I am open to it but it should be able to play genuine lossless formats and should'nt make me feel the urge of a cdp.

Oct 20, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #10 of 10
My set up includes a Sony NW-HD3 linked to a CMoy (built by MisterX from this site - definitely recommend him to anyone - top guy) with a set of MS-1 phones into the CMoy. When you copy CDs with the highest ATRAC setting the sound is just as good as the CD itself and the sound from the HD3 and the cmoy is amazing.

Whatever you end up buying, I definitely recommend buying a cmoy to go with your MS-1s. Mine has really opened up my MS-1s and they sound an awful lot better than they do without the cmoy.

Enjoy!

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back