Good portable setup
Dec 9, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #17 of 23
So i have decided on waiting for an iPhone 5 64GB, i have needed a new phone for a while, with a FLAC app (not a very good selection at the moment, any suggestions?) after that I'll get a the TP10's later the Fostex HP-P1 and just go from there, maybe later some super high-end buds.

Thanks all

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #18 of 23

Quote:
So i have decided on waiting for an iPhone 5 64GB, i have needed a new phone for a while, with a FLAC app (not a very good selection at the moment, any suggestions?) after that I'll get a the TP10's later the Fostex HP-P1 and just go from there, maybe later some super high-end buds.
Thanks all

The difference between FLAC and 320kbps is really not that audible. I used to store everything in AIFF on my ipod but nowadays I keep them all in mp3. Can't really tell the difference unless I do a close comparison.

Nokia phone has got good SQ though you may despise it because it is not iOS nor Android.

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #19 of 23
arrrg! so many decisions

Sticking with apple as i love my current iPhone (3GS) waiting for the 5 (so multifunctional) but a 16GB i don't need to take my whole collection everywhere i go!

TF10's

Going to get a Fostex HP-P1 (eventually as i learn appreciation)

Format for ripping will be Apple Lossless

but where to from there, uelover said ear-buds are the most important component, so once i tire of the TF10's where do i go from there, can any recommend a set from the next tier up? if TF10's are 400-500 what could i get for about $850?

edit: no custom fit's, just in ear :)

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #20 of 23
THe TF10s are $160 on amazon atm, so go grab them quick. Although I would not recommend them, they are so uncomfortable and fits weirdly. I would look at westone options like the um3x, the w4, or the w4r if you have a 400-500 budget. As for universal in ears, these are the "top of the line", there are no in ears that get any better than the w4s or if you want to go the shure line, the 535s. The next step would be customs. As for the fostex hp-p1, I would rather go with a thinner portable amp option like the pico slim, alo rx mk2, or the ttvj slim. I don't the think that the fostex is worth the weight and bulk. 

Just my two cents on starting a portable rig based on my previous experiences of trial and error. My current portable rig is the westone es5 with the twag v2 cable with a balanced termination withe the protector from rsa and an ipod classic. 

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #21 of 23
Correction, I just remembered there are the akg earphones that are super expensive and another japanese or korean ones as well that cost over $1000. I have never tried them but they are dynamic drivers. IMO, they will not exceed the 3 balanced armature drivers on any of the high end iem mentioned.

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #23 of 23

Quote:
As for the fostex hp-p1, I would rather go with a thinner portable amp option like the pico slim, alo rx mk2, or the ttvj slim. I don't the think that the fostex is worth the weight and bulk. 

Just my two cents on starting a portable rig based on my previous experiences of trial and error. My current portable rig is the westone es5 with the twag v2 cable with a balanced termination withe the protector from rsa and an ipod classic. 

All the slim amps you have mentioned would require a good source.

Coming from CLAS and Whipmod using experience, the direct line out from ipod/iphone with a portable amp is really bad, so bad that I won't want to listen to them at all. Sound is so digital and ipod-ish. Even my phone headphone jack sounded much better.

For HP-P1, you are paying for its technical prowess and the goodness of the sound while sacrificing portability. If sound is the focus, HP P1 is worth taking a look.

If good portability is the key, I won't even recommend using any external amp. Just the Cowon J3 will do. Sounds better than iPod + Pico Slim/TTVJ/RX2 =)

Quote:
Correction, I just remembered there are the akg earphones that are super expensive and another japanese or korean ones as well that cost over $1000. I have never tried them but they are dynamic drivers. IMO, they will not exceed the 3 balanced armature drivers on any of the high end iem mentioned.

I have tried the AKG earphones. It is AKG K3003, runs on single dynamic and dual armature drivers. They require good amping but they sound phenomenon. W4 is no match to it. It is the closest universal I have heard that sounds as good as my custom.

But then, since they cost that much, might as well get a custom for better fit and seal =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back