Good portable dac for Cypher labs algorhythm duet under $400
Dec 23, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #3 of 7
The Duet is a headphone amp that has both 4-pin balanced input & output and 3.5mm input & output. It will work with any DAC that outputs either a balanced signal or a single-ended (normal unbalanced) signal. It should work with just about any DAC that has analog outputs.

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 7
The Duet is a headphone amp that has both 4-pin balanced input & output and 3.5mm input & output. It will work with any DAC that outputs either a balanced signal or a single-ended (normal unbalanced) signal. It should work with just about any DAC that has analog outputs.

If I just use this unit with the 3.5 mm input it would it still be worth it or no? Or do I have to get the Cypher labs -dB to make this unit worth while.

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 7
ick question do you need a headphone that has a balanced 4 pin connector to use the balance chain? Or can I use the balance chain and use the 3.5 mm output to my headphones.

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #6 of 7
If you are going to go balanced, then it is best to be balanced from start to finish. That means using a DAC with balanced outputs and an amp with balanced inputs and outputs, AND headphones wired as balanced. Of course, at any of the points along the chain you *can* go back to single-ended, but IMHO, there's very little point in spending the money unless you are going to go the whole way. Even then, I'm not sure it's worth it. But, that's just my own opinion, many others feel differently. I have seen some great amps that had balanced & single-ended connections. I would buy those amps, not because they have balanced connections, but because they are great amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back