Good Portable Cassette players
Feb 8, 2010 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Uri Cohen

Formerly known as HyperDuel
Yes I will be looking for one soon, and I'm wondering what are some of the good good cassette players from back in the day?

Please don't get off-topic with quotes saying "Why?" PLEASE!

What should I look out when buying a portable?

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 9
Aiwa. Had two. Stopped using them because... no more cassettes. Had one Dire Straits one... the only cassette that I still have. Demagnetized. Good days.
Anyway, see if you can get a used Walkman.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aiwa. Had two. Stopped using them because... no more cassettes. Had one Dire Straits one... the only cassette that I still have. Demagnetized. Good days.
Anyway, see if you can get a used Walkman.

Only problem is which Walkmans?

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 9
Walkman Pro.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 9
The yellow Walkman sport always worked well for me, still have a working one somewhere in my large obsolete portable audio box.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 9
+1 on Aiwa.
I had a couple back in the 80s, and even think I have the latest one around. Compact size, solid built, autoreverse, Single AAA battery, and from what I remember quite nice sound quality.

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 9
I had so damn many growing up, my favorites were a Toshiba, a couple Panasonics, and couple Sonys. Can't remember any model numbers, but the heavy small ones were generally the best. I browse ebay for one now and then but then I'll need tapes too.

Feb 9, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 9
The Sony WM-DD9 or the D6C or something similar. I have one of the later classics, but the problem with every tape player walkman I've had, is that when you hit the 'reverse' tape button, the tape always sounds squiggly. You can pay around $150 for one of these (or more), but the quality is something.

Granted, that when listening to Tori Amos, this actually improves her voice.

If you are after a quality miniaturised deck, the Onkyo K185 or the larger C-611 are fabulous pro-quality decks with Dolby B and Dolby C (remember those?
biggrin.gif
) and HX-Pro sound too. The sheer beauty of analogue music really comes to the fore with these kinds of decks. Nothing like putting your 2010 music onto tape to play - hear the sheer difference in warmth. None of that siblance and sharp edged high pitched stuff from CDs. They have superior definition compared to any portable walkman, but if you want to go portable, everyone knows that Sony Mini-Disc or Hi-Minidisc is the way to go
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back