Good portable amp with ipod any suggestions?
Apr 25, 2013 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DeadeyeM

Head-Fier
Hello i'm thinking of getting an ipod and was looking for these portable amp's, and not to sure what to get.

I was looking at Fiio E6 E11 and E12, i'm looking for compact size to fit in the pocket, i'm all new to this especially with portable amps, so please forgive me :) .

I'm using simple headphones nothing special Sennheiser CX300 II

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 13
No need for an amp with just your earbuds and iPod. I would upgrade to a better pair of headphones before you move up to an amp. Amps, contrary to the name are less for getting the sound louder (which they will do), but more to give a higher quality sound. The built in amps in most portable players is a single chip solution, the sound quality is pretty poor, but it works just fine with the cheap headphones they come with. With an Ipod, you will eventually need an LOD cable, it plugs into the data/ charging port on the bottom, it will take the raw audio signal and feed it to your amp. So my advice, get yourself an iPod 1st, I recommend the 160 Gig classic, lots of storage space, but really any model would work. Then you can start thinking about a new headset, perhaps you are happy with your current ones for portable use, then you are ready for a nicer over the ear pair, lots of choices out there. Then after you have a nicer headset you can get an amp to fully realize your new headphones potential. Hope this helps a little.

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 13
I have the Classic 160 gb with the E11. I use it primarily for travel (plane) so bulk is not an issue. As stated above, if you want a portable rig, I'd go the classic only and a good set of IEM's. I have triple fi's, and the ipod drives them fine, and they sound very good.

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
I have the Classic 160 gb with the E11.

That's a good-sounding combination.
L3000.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 13
Well i'm looking at iPod Classic 7th thinking of getting it, and maybe in the future get Shure SE215. Any comments on how this ipod can compare with let say Galaxy S3 with Beats Awesome MOD? 

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 13
I'm sure the G3 is a fine phone, even if its name is soiled by the Beats name, Beats is lowfi at best, and you are talkin about playing through the phones speakers ? Seriously you are a victim of the Hype. Phones for audio players work fine for casual use, you will have limited space, the size of what ever memory card inside. If that's all you can afford, then thats to bad, good luck with it, beats is just a Fad, the gear they make is over hyped and sold to the unaware, look at all the beats junk for sale, if its so good why is everyone selling and not buying ? Apple makes a solid product, you cant go wrong. I'm no apple fan boy, I just recognize the quality of the product, phones tend to be disposable in 5 months. Sorry if I sound like a beats basher, I'm really not, I just hate over hyped, media blitz products with "bling" that young people see as having a "cool factor", just like Bose, a big corporation who sells Mid-fi hyped as audiophile quality when it simply isn't, Bose wont even allow its product to be displayed next to any other Hi end product, they know they fail every time in direct comparison.

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 13
Hey DeadeyeM, didn't want you to think I was flaming you, sorry for that, there is surprisingly  little actual info on the Mod that I could find in looking for 10 minutes, a lot of how to install or links to it. So that seemed like a complete waste to even look up. Please explain your understanding of the app/ mod and what is it's purpose ? I use my android phone to make calls, GPS in my car and to play angry birds on, most my apps are for my nieces, when ever I visit, they take the phone and fight over it, it's more of a a toy for me really, but it will play music. I really hated how the player apps had my music files all over the place, easy to have the same file in 2 places, to really use these you have to hack them, again its a toy to practice hacking on. But if I didn't have my iPod I would try a lot harder to make it useful, just never needed to, and it really is a handy gadget, just not the best for having as much music on me as I can carry. iPod's and the like, are a little miracle compared to the portable CD players and cassette decks back in the day. But again, I apologize, I offended you and I am sorry that happened.

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 13
It ok. i dont have 100% of understanding of this MOD, but i'm guessing it's EQ built into System itself. it does enhance the quality of the audio from stock version of GS3, but i believe that iPods iPhone still have better SQ, i've heard that Android have this problem with the system itself not giving better SQ as on iOS.

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #10 of 13
Short answer to your original question - you don't need an amp.  For a start the CX300  II are ridiculously easy to drive - and really you won't get any benefit at all - just more volume which won't stop the transducers distorting at high volume.

If you are upgrading later to an SE215 - you won't need one then either.  As long as your source is low impedance, and amp won't help at all.  they are easy to drive and quite sensitive.

I drive my SE535 Special Edition straight form the headphone-out of my Touch G4 or iPhone4 - they sound great and get too loud at any more than 1/4 volume.

Do yourself a favour - stick to just the portable player - and don't worry about an amp unless you're going to get much harder to drive headphones.

Apr 28, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #11 of 13
Well just got a new iPod Classic 7th Gen + RockBox and trying to compare it with Galaxy S3 + Beats Audio MOD. and using CX300, and have really hard time telling what is better, they sound different but cant tell witch one is better. I'm not an expert on this, it's just trying to find witch one is the best audio quality. Also thinking if it's not going to be big differens i might as well return the  iPod and just use GS3 will save 200 pounds :)

Apr 28, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #12 of 13
Well just got a new iPod Classic 7th Gen + RockBox and trying to compare it with Galaxy S3 + Beats Audio MOD. and using CX300, and have really hard time telling what is better, they sound different but cant tell witch one is better. I'm not an expert on this, it's just trying to find witch one is the best audio quality. Also thinking if it's not going to be big differens i might as well return the  iPod and just use GS3 will save 200 pounds :)

Return the iPod and spend $100 bones on Colorfly C3, come back and tell us which sounds better. :wink:

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #13 of 13
The Classic + E11 combination is really good, and plenty small enough to still fit in a pocket. I'm currently using that with UE 4000s as my portable setup. But if you don't need the large storage capacity of the Classic then you may be perfectly happy with your S3. For me I like being able to keep a large amount of music with me, and any player lacking true gapless playback is a non-starter.

Edit: I should add that going from the Classic to E11 using an LOD is the key, I think the headphone out of the Classic is its weakest point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back