Good Points for a Hi-Fi review?
Aug 23, 2016 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12
Hey there! Noob here and this is my first post. I'm a 22yo recording studio owner in Music City TN. I've been obsessed with Hi-Fi audio most of my (reasonably short) life. I've collected a range of speakers and headphones such as the Bowers and Wilkins DM3000s, Event PS6, and Magneplanar MG-II, Sennheiser HD280, HD598, HD650, Klipsch Image one, and other countless cans. I'm a big fan of tube amps and enjoy hand building my own to power my HD650s. Now that you know a little bit about me I want to hear from the Hi-Fi pros out here. I have a small youtube channel that I've been working on for a while mostly consisting on VLOGs and other random projects. Recently however I've decided to start posting Hi-Fi reviews. The first few videos I'm working on as I post this are reviews of the following: Roam Ropes, Sennheiser HD 650, Klipsch image one, Bravo v2 and Nobsound NS08E (budget tube hybrid amps) and a few others. So here's really what I'm wondering. What are things YOU think are important to a good Hi-Fi review? Weather its speakers, headphones, amps, etc. Of course they may sound "good" but what are some good ways to characterize that?

Here's a small unboxing I did today. I use a cannon rebel t2i for my recording and hope to setup a full set this week for face-to-camera reviewing and B-roll.

Thanks in advance guys and gals! I'm excited to be here! : )

Aug 24, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 12
A good reveiwer to look into is jimsreveiwroom on YouTube. He embodies what I think a good reveiw is and to me that means a short unboxing followed by a bit of detail about the build quality and details about functions. Finish off with a short statement about the sound quality (be brief but detailed) and then finish off by ranking it among headphones/amps/whatever in that price category. Unless it really needs to be compared above it's price category because of its value, don't compare it to more expensive cans.
Other than that a hi-fi enthusiast will immediately be turned off of the video if it has poor sound quality and bad editing.

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 12
Those notes in mind would you consider the audio in this video acceptable? I used a dynamic with a compressor and pop filter because my condensers pick up too much background noise. Though I've been told it sounds a bit too punchy.

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 12
The sound is very good imho. Did you record the sound live or afterwards?
Also the editing was very good. I just watched the video (didn't watch it before my first comment) and I have to say it is a lot better than many reveiws/unboxings I've seen. I think that if you unboxed the product and then laid it out to get a good look at it and all of it's accessories it would be simpler and a bit easier than showing them in real time.
All that said, it's not my channel, I'm not a professional reveiwer (if they have those) I'm just an interested consumer, and as such I think you're video was very good.

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks I really appreciate that. I did some light color correction while editing and did everything in adobe after effects. The audio was recorded post-production but I took notes during the unboxing to make sure I covered all my bases with it. I'm hoping to have a full review ready and written after another week and a half of use. That will be more camera involved and i'm still constructing my set for it. Down side is I don't have too many (earbuds) in the same price range to compare this to. Most of my stock is over ear headphones. Though they ARE advertised and CLAIM to compete with headphones 3x their price.

Also yes in hindsight there is probably a better way I should've set everything out. I was a bit giddy from getting the package and quickly improvised with the counter and some natural light. 

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks I really appreciate that. I did some light color correction while editing and did everything in adobe after effects. The audio was recorded post-production but I took notes during the unboxing to make sure I covered all my bases with it. I'm hoping to have a full review ready and written after another week and a half of use. That will be more camera involved and i'm still constructing my set for it. Down side is I don't have too many (earbuds) in the same price range to compare this to. Most of my stock is over ear headphones. Though they ARE advertised and CLAIM to compete with headphones 3x their price.

Also yes in hindsight there is probably a better way I should've set everything out. I was a bit giddy from getting the package and quickly improvised with the counter and some natural light. 

Just make up a list in that price range, then pick 4-5 others to compare to. Also, a matte white background would be what I would use.
Like I said, that was really good for an unboxings. Believe me, I've seen worse unboxings/reveiws.

Aug 25, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 12
  What are things YOU think are important to a good Hi-Fi review?

• Quick unboxings - some unboxing videos are WAY too long and boring and often very repetitive. 
• Accurate quick descriptions on aesthetics and materials.
• Ergonomics (applies mostly to headphones and portable devices)
• Technical features addressed briefly throughout the video at strategic moments and not lumped together
  - For example if it's a bluetooth headphone, only talk about battery life and charging times etc when you get to the 'experiences of using the headphone in real life' and not hastily read out from a tech-spec list at some point after unboxing
• Objective sound observations and comparisons with other similarly priced equipment - the competition 
  - For example even if you feel like one headphone is more detailed or tonally accurate, this is more of an objective observation.
• Subjective sound observations and opionions regarding taste WITH comparisons to the competition 
  - This is where you feel it's strenghts/weaknesses lend themselves to specific genres or uses, or simply create a more euphoric or stale feeling in the sound.

Avoid repititon. I've seen some 10 minute videos that could have EASILY been 2-3 minutes and been a lot more enjoyable.
Short and sweet is key. 
You're not trying to 'entertain' but inform. I liked the video, especially the attention to detail where you do small fast foward edits to cut out the boring empty bits where little is happening. Good stuff.

Aug 26, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks! Feedback is going to be very important for me! I definitely agree on many of these points. One of my larger concerns being that (as you said) sound observations are very subjective and i'm trying to think of a way to rate the sound in a method that's quantifiable on some personal scale. Though I guess are you said the best way to do that would be comparing them to similar sounding products.

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 12
  Though I guess are you said the best way to do that would be comparing them to similar sounding products.

I don't think anyone quite said that.
More importantly it's good to compare similarly priced equipment or equipment designed for similar/identical purposes.
Like if you're reviewing a closed-back studio monitor, don't compare it directly to an open-back 'audiophile' headphone.

It makes more sense to compare it directly to other closed-back studio monitors.
Even comparing it to high-end 'audiophile' (ugh.. i hate that word) closed-back fashion headphones might be a bad direction to take.

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #11 of 12
I honestly thought it was very slick.

At this low level or entry level product I think it was wise to leave out detailed specifications and focus on usability and perceived sound quality.
Even with the background music, your recorded voice comes through fully and articulately. 

The use of a high end benchmark amp and HD650's, a headphone pretty much everyone who cares about headphones has auditioned at point again are very good choices. 
It shows your experience and wisdom on the matter making your review more trustworthy.

I've seen too many reviews on one product without mentioning a single other product which makes the 'review' feel more like an extended advert or over-glorified unboxing video.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #12 of 12
  I honestly thought it was very slick.

At this low level or entry level product I think it was wise to leave out detailed specifications and focus on usability and perceived sound quality.
Even with the background music, your recorded voice comes through fully and articulately. 

The use of a high end benchmark amp and HD650's, a headphone pretty much everyone who cares about headphones has auditioned at point again are very good choices. 
It shows your experience and wisdom on the matter making your review more trustworthy.

I've seen too many reviews on one product without mentioning a single other product which makes the 'review' feel more like an extended advert or over-glorified unboxing video.

Thanks I'm very excited to hear that. I've been trying very hard to make these videos look/sound as professional as possible. I spent hours trying to get that vocal take correct. 

I feel the same way about ths HD650's and while I know there are nicer "high end" amps out there I feel like the solid state 18i8 is a good benchmark all around since its normal intended use is for accurate recording and mixing in a studio. Much appreciated.

I like doing these two product comparisons unfortunately I know a few videos coming up will be a tad more difficult to do so (mainly because of budget). That being said I'm hoping to keep my next "single product" review as interesting as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back