Good PMP with FLAC support?
Jan 24, 2008 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sabrage

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a PMP soon, and rather than convert my entire library to a lossy format, I'd rather just get a player that supports it... The problem is, Most of the players that do have FLAC support have pitifully small hard drives. I've been looking at the A2/A3 lately, and they seem to be my best choices... But the A2 is almost impossible to find new and the A3 seems pretty overpriced for what I'll be using it for. So I ask you:
-What are the differences between the A2 and the A3?
-Is there a better player that fits within my criteria?

Thanks in advance. Long time lurker here; it's good to finally have a question worth posting about.
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 7
depending on the size you need:

get a ipod video 30gb 5th generation with rockbox.

get a cowon D2 with HDSC 8 or 16 gb or regular SD expansion cards swappable as you wish.

a used Cowon x5.

Vibez Trekstor 12 gb.

meizu.

and Welcome to Head-fi, sorry for your wallet.

regards,

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 7
A3 I just got one and I need some more peoples input on all the damn settings.
tongue.gif

From what I've read the A3 has a better lcd screen 800X480 and outputs 720P if your interested in that.

James

Jan 25, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 7
It may be out of your budget but if you're not shy of some DIY then you could swap the HDD in the Cowon Q5W for 80GB, 100GB or a 120GB HDD (same type used in iPods). I'll probably give it a go when the prices drop abit more or if i can find one for cheap on ebay.

Jan 25, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A3 I just got one and I need some more peoples input on all the damn settings.
tongue.gif

From what I've read the A3 has a better lcd screen 800X480 and outputs 720P if your interested in that.

James

Is the quoted battery life of 10 hours audio accurate?
That's what kept me from going in that direction.
I am climbing the ladder of "used" X5's. First a 20GB X5,
followed by a 20GB X5L, and now a 60GB X5. Hoping the battery on the 60GB unit gives me more then 12 hours. I haven't received it yet, just purchased the other night.

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 7
Not sure on the battery life yet. Only been using it for a few days. The first time it went dead was only after a few hours. I thought the player died on me. I'll keep track of the battery life on the next couple of charges and let you know. I'm gonna fully charge and fully discharge it. BTW I'm using it playing Flac file exclusively, ie no video.

James

Jan 26, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 7
Hmm... Not seeing anything more enticing than the A3. As for the Q5: How much would a larger hard drive run? I know standard 3.5" drives are down... Also, where would I be able to buy one individually? Is there a guide on this technique?

The issue of battery life doesn't bother me (as long as it can handle 10hrs+). I would be using it the most at school (7.5hrs max) and then coming home and charging it. What I am worried about, though, is the interface. Is it easy to use on the A3? One of the only shortcomings I heard about on the A2 was the fact that you could not save a playlist on it. I'm not sure if this issue was ironed out eventually, or if it still exists and made the jump to the A3. Is the interface on the A3 decent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back