Good places to sell an amp?
Mar 13, 2004 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kelesh

100+ Head-Fier
Hey. I'm trying to sell my newly purchasesd Meta42 to help pay for a tube amp, but nobody seems to be buying it.

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=64731

Why is this not selling? Its practically brand new and a great amp for the price. Is the psyche for Meta42's completely gone? A few months ago people would be jumping all over this.

Anyway, are there any other good places/ways to sell a headphone amp?

Mar 13, 2004 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 12
IMHO your price is too high. It's worth about $120. The PIMETA design has decreased the value of older META42s. Personally I'd like this not to be true (I have a couple META42s I'd be willing to sell), but that's just the reality.

Mar 13, 2004 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 12
uhhh. 1 month ago I paid Fiddler $200 to make this amp for me.

Mar 13, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 12
For some perspective, the Headsave Elite (a nice PIMETA design with Cardas jacks) is selling new for $160. The Headsave MiniMe, basically equivalent to your Meta42 (higher output current, less good potentiometer, same basic circuit) is selling new for $110.

Since people can order a totally new PIMETA for $160, it's unlikely that you'll get more than that for your used META42.

Mar 13, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 12
Wodgy, that headsave amp doesn't have a power supply at that price, which is another 35 bucks US. The amp I sold him also had double-stacked buffers per channel, and a pot that costs 12 bucks more. The RCA's I used are Dayton Audio telfon-insulated ones, not cheap...

Hi Chris,

Sorry about this, I had no idea the META42 had devaluated so much since the summer... I honestly hadn't been really following Head-Fi for many many months (you'll notice I hadn't posted much between Sept-Jan). My prices were competitive then, but I guess now with the PIMETA replacement it's become totally obsolete.. I feel really bad now that I realize this. Tell you what Chris, I'm willing to refund you part of the cost so you can list the amp for cheaper on the FS/T forum.

Mar 13, 2004 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
Wodgy, that headsave amp doesn't have a power supply at that price, which is another 35 bucks US. The amp I sold him also had double-stacked buffers per channel...

Good point about the power supply. The buffer thing is a fair comparison though -- one BUF634 puts out 250mA, whereas two stacked EL2001 put out 200mA. The BUF634 also features lower distortion, though to be fair there are some that feel that the EL2001 sounds better.

Mar 13, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Wodgy, that headsave amp doesn't have a power supply at that price, which is another 35 bucks US. The amp I sold him also had double-stacked buffers per channel, and a pot that costs 12 bucks more. The RCA's I used are Dayton Audio telfon-insulated ones, not cheap...

Thanks, Fiddler. I knew there must be something to merit the asking price.

Mar 13, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Hi Chris,

Sorry about this, I had no idea the META42 had devaluated so much since the summer... I honestly hadn't been really following Head-Fi for many many months (you'll notice I hadn't posted much between Sept-Jan). My prices were competitive then, but I guess now with the PIMETA replacement it's become totally obsolete.. I feel really bad now that I realize this. Tell you what Chris, I'm willing to refund you part of the cost so you can list the amp for cheaper on the FS/T forum.

Wow, you are awesome, fiddler. That would be great. What do you think a fair asking price is for this amp? I was just basing my price off of how much I paid and how much I thought people would be willing to pay.

Mar 13, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 12
It's used gear! Take a look at Audiogon and compare the prices of things on there to the retail prices. Used gear, especially something that was only $200 new, drops real fast.
I was recently looking at a DAC and upgraded power supply on Audiogon. It had about $300 in modwright modification and upgraded cables. It sold for less than you could buy a new stock DAC w/ power supply. Basically the buyer was getting $400 worth of upgrades for free. This is why so many people love to buy used gear.
Also be patience you may have to bump the item for a week or two before it sells.

Mar 13, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 12
Its SLIGHTLY used gear. And it was a DIY to begin with, so the price % drop should be less.

Mar 13, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 12
well, fiddler has been very nice and agreed to give me some money as a partial refund, so i will lower its price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back