Good Pink Floyd Live Albums?
May 14, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 31
The best is actually a video... Live at Pompeii. It's out on DVD (no blu ray, alas).

The other good one is Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live. It's basically the same as the studio album, and is more traditional than Pompeii (as in, there's an audience), but it has an amazing version of Comfortably Numb that makes it worth the price of admission.

May 14, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 31
Pulse was done without Waters but worth it. I have a download of a London concert in 1972. Not good audio quality but the jazzy influence given the songs hooked me.

Youtube has many songs worth spinning through.

May 14, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by DBrim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best is actually a video... Live at Pompeii. It's out on DVD (no blu ray, alas).

The other good one is Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live. It's basically the same as the studio album, and is more traditional than Pompeii (as in, there's an audience), but it has an amazing version of Comfortably Numb that makes it worth the price of admission.

I second this. I prefer The Wall Live to the studio version, which is very 80's sounding.

The problem with Pink Floyd is that they kindna suck as a live band; Waters's vocals is all over the place and more often than not you can't stand listening to his vocals. Yet without him Pink Floyd were never the same band, Glimour is technically the superior vocalist compared to Waters but his vocals is way too nice and lacks weight. You can try getting Pulse which is not a bad album but will leave you begging for Waters.

May 14, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 31
Pulse

Pulse.jpg

May 14, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 31
Pulse is pretty good, but I prefer it as a video, dont really care much for it for just the audio part. The show as such is awesome with lots of effects and energy.

Live at Pompeii is a great DVD as well but again, video > audio.

"Is there anybody out there" is pretty good, doesnt sound great SQ wise, but its a solid concert with some interesting modifications to songs that makes it worth listening to. Get the deluxe edition that comes in a hardcover book style case, its lovely, fantastic packaging and artwork.

May 14, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 31
Live at Pompeii is what you want. Defiantly worth checking out. From 1971.

May 14, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite by far is the live disc in Ummagumma. That was before they got all sociopolitical and were just a fun psychedelic freakout!

exactly my idea.

Quote:

I second this. I prefer The Wall Live to the studio version, which is very 80's sounding.

Yeah, the studioversion is a little bit sterile, the live version more organic (though just as depressing, don't worry).

May 14, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #11 of 31
"Delicate Sound of Thunder" is a great live DVD/CD Pink Floyd album.

May 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Delicate Sound of Thunder" is a great live DVD/CD Pink Floyd album.

I second that. The live versions of On the turning away and Comfortably Numb are awesome on this release

May 15, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #15 of 31
Defo check out the pulse DVD. One of my all time favourite concert dvds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back